Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 27-11-2004 , 01:17 PM
Subscriber

Cartoon Dog: Boolean Question

Hey, one more problem; I had to cut the head in half when merging the vertices because it made it much easier for me. That all worked, but now I am on the body, I cut it in half too. The boolean union is not working whatsoever now though. I went back and tried to put the other side of the head on but didn't succeed. Any suggestions? Can it not work when it is cut in half?

I think I'll just take it slower and figure it out.

Last edited by noanswer42; 27-11-2004 at 03:43 PM.
# 2 27-11-2004 , 05:14 PM
Hi.. when it comes to booleans you have to make sure you have a few things right they are very finickey.

make sure:

1) The edges are intersecting totaly through each other
2) The normals of both parts are going the same way (out wards)
3) Clean geometry with no 5 sided faces can cause trouble try and keep 4 sided faces.

If that dont help post the file up and I'll have a look.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 27-11-2004 , 07:37 PM
Subscriber
I think I have numbers 1 and 3 down, I'm not quite sure what you mean in 2. I think I will have another go at it tonight and not cut the head in half this time. Good tutorial Kurt, hopefully I'll finish some time; I want to try the tree frog as well soon.

Update: Okay I finished getting the head right and connecting it to the body.

Last edited by noanswer42; 28-11-2004 at 02:03 PM.