Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 02-02-2007 , 03:33 AM

polygon reduction

Where can we found out polygon reduction in Maya?

# 2 02-02-2007 , 03:58 AM
the reduction function can be found in Polygons>reduce= option box

although its dosent do a very good job of mantaning the shape, you might have better luck reducing it yourself. I've found that it is mostly only good for making LOD (level of detail) models.

if your working on a budget you should probibly turn on the poly count HUD by going to "Display> heads up display = poly count". this displays various information about the model that is on the screen and what is selected (sub components, nurbs SubDs ect)

if you want to find information on the subject of polygon reduction a good place to start is the maya help file prss F1 and search Reduction and it should bring up information for you.

# 3 02-02-2007 , 03:49 PM
Subscriber
yeah i agree with ryokukitsune... id remove it by myself instead of using that tool since it kind of destroys the shape of your object,

# 4 07-02-2007 , 11:52 AM
Marlon John - Pushing it to the limit and succeeding

# 5 08-02-2007 , 08:02 AM
Subscriber
eh yes? how can i help you ...

(i just changed it couple of minutes ago btw hehe :p)