Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 02-02-2013 , 12:45 AM

Skinning- More than 100% weighted. Is that normal?

Okay, It has been years since I rigged anything, and I just went to rig and skin a simple model on a computer that has Maya 2013. The last time I rigged anything, it was on a comp with Maya 2010

I was painting skin weights and was startled to find that when I bend my joints so far, the geometry only follows 50% to the joints.

I thought this was strange, so I went into the component editor (under smooth skin) to find that I hadn't been skinning only 50%, but I had been somehow skinning 200%!

As my component editor shows, after flooding my model to the root joint and locking all other joints except the pelvis and root, and then painting (with the "replace" option selected) weight 100% to the pelvis joint, I have vertices that are weighted 200% in total.

If I am not mistaken, I remember being able to "replace"(like the button says) the weight on the vertices as I paint the lower half of the body from the fully-weighted ROOT joint to the pelvis joint (all other joints having locked weights)

I checked this on 2 computers with 2 different example files, and on both computers, the vertices are showing a value of 1.000 on the root joint, AND 1.000 on the above or lower joint when I paint (attempt to replace) the weight to said joints.

This is annoying. I do not want to have to check to make sure each vertice has an exact value of 1.000 total. Is there a way to cap skinning at 1.000? If not, I imagine skinning is going to be a nightmare on higher resolution models. user added image

In short, the component editor shows me smooth skin painting each vertice a total of 2.000. That is 100% weighted to one joint and 100% weighted to another joint. Is that normal? Is that a new "feature?" Is there any way to actually replace weight any more without vertices going over 100%?

# 2 03-11-2014 , 05:05 PM

Any luck with this?

I am having a very similar issue with Maya 2013 skin weights not capping at 1.000. Did you have any luck figuring this out outside of this forum? Thanks.

# 3 11-11-2014 , 03:36 PM
Yes actually. there is a checkbox that will revert your skinning process to what is "should" be. Give me a bit to go through and see if I can find the box. I haven't touched maya in ages >.<

# 4 11-11-2014 , 03:53 PM
In your "Paint skin weights tool, go to tool settings where it says "normalize weights" change it from post to interactive.

If I am not mistaken, that was the solution to my problem. Hope I helped. ^,.,^