Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 30-10-2007 , 02:51 PM

Vista troubles

Hey all, I know theres other topics about Maya and Vista, but I hadnt seen any that covers the problem Im having. Basically, I cant even get Maya(PLE) on this computer. When I download it, after download it sits there Verifying, and when that ends, nothing is there. It just ends.

For some background; Ive been using a Maya PLE 6.0 book that I was teaching myself with for the past two years ago, on a PC with XP on it. We just got this laptop, which didnt give any options other than Vista (*sigh*) and now Im having the aformentioned problem. I tried just transferring the program folders from the PC to this laptop over a flash drive, but when it got here I couldnt use any of the programs. I tried using the disk that came with the book, and after it asked for a verification key, which I somehow still had from two years ago, it would just stop there. I'd hit next, and itd stay on the window asking for the key.

Any help would be highly appreciated, as I was really hoping to use this laptop for 3D work for college next year, and now its seeming that I cant even get the programs on it. :angery:

# 2 30-10-2007 , 06:13 PM
Subscriber
Hi,

I'm running Maya 2008 x64 on Vista 64. I remember that I had to download the Direct-X 9 software from Microsoft to run it as Vista comes with the spangly new DX10. ANyway, that could be your problem, it's certainly been my only issue with changing OS (so far!!).

Hope it helps,

Mat.

# 3 30-10-2007 , 07:06 PM
Ill be sure to go and try that. Though, wouldn't something have said that I had an incompatible version of DirectX when I tried to install it?

If it helps anyone help me, its Vista Home Premium.

# 4 30-10-2007 , 10:41 PM
Sorry for double post, but updated info that I didnt only want to put in an edit. (I can change that if I need to)

Downloaded DirectX 9.0 from the microsoft website, and downloaded Maya 8.5 PLE again. Same result as before, after downloading, it asks me if I want to run it, I say yes, it starts to verify, and five minutes later the window just goes away. Nothing new added to program files, no new programs to use.

# 5 31-10-2007 , 07:46 AM
DirectX shouldn't be the problem since Maya uses OpenGL for 3D acceleration (I think, not 100% sure). Anyways, it could be those new 'security' features in Vista thats blocking the Maya install. I would turn them off since they don't improve security anyways and see if that solves the problem.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 6 31-10-2007 , 07:56 AM
Subscriber
Ahhhhhh,

what the architect said has reminded me that it's a good idea to right click the install file and choose to run as administrator.

Perhaps this will help.

Mat.

# 7 31-10-2007 , 10:15 AM
Thank you both, both ideas seem like they might work. Though, The Architect, could you possibly tell me where to go to turn off exactally which security features? If not, Ill just use next weekend and play around with it.

# 8 31-10-2007 , 10:34 AM
I think its Vista's Data Execution Prevention (DEP) feature thats interfering with your installs. To turn that off, you must run the command prompt as administrator and run this command:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

You should see a message that says wether it worked or not. If it did, reboot Vista and Maya should install normally. If you want to turn it back on afterwards, do the same thing as before but type this instead:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!