Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 16-10-2007 , 04:33 AM

Cartoon Dog

This is my version of the 'Cartoon Dog' by Kurt Boutilier.

this is actually an all-polygon version I spent hours in smoothinguser added image, and I have a few problems with it:
*(I also posted this on the 'Franky' tutorial but I didn't receive any help about it) Just before duplicating one half of the model I need to make sure that all of the vertices have the same x/y/z value.
In Kurt's tutorials he moves them all together (with snap to grid on) in a way that every vertex aligns INDIVIDUALLY to the axis. I didn't manage to do thatuser added image. I also tried to change the values in the channel box ("CVs (click to show)") but that didn't help either (I noticed that most of the times the values there are just 0 , 0 , 0 everywhere).
Therefore I wasted a lot of time selecting the vertices one at a time and snap them to the axisuser added image.Any ideas?

*In order to combine polygon objects I usually need to reduce/increase the amount of polygons on the objects.
Since I started with detailed nurbs I had many polygons and therefore I decided to go with reduction - by combining adjacent edge loops (I found this technique quite efficient and easy).
Problem is, I found myself doing one of the following quite a lot for 5 minutes at a time:
-"Stitch" the vertices of two different edge loops (two at a timeuser added image) using 'merge vertices' - Which proved to be pretty slow.
-"Stitch" the edges between two different edge loops after deleting the faces in between using 'merge border edges' - The problem here is that I couldn't find a way to do that but to select the edges one at a time (If there is one) - Which proved to be pretty slow as well.
Can someone please tell me if theres a better way to do that? Maybe use one of the above in a quicker way?

I'm using Maya 8.5

Thanks in advance,
Benny

BTW, thanks to Michael Mckinley's tutorial 'Extrude Face 2' for showing me a way to easily create the ears in my version of the dog.

Attached Images
# 2 16-10-2007 , 10:16 AM
I think what you're asking (aligning the verts) is simple. Before you duplicate half of the dog, goto the front view. Then select all of the verts that you want to align. Once you have them all selected, use the scale tool to align them. If you verts are verticle then you will want to scale them horizontally. Keep scaling until you can't scale no more. You'll know it when it happens.

Step 2: Next press the F8 key to return to object select mode. then press the "w" key. then press the insert key. move the axis orientation to one of the verts you just aligned. You can do this by clicking on the horizontal part of it so that it highlights yellow. Then hold down the "v" key while you move the horizontal yellow part with your mouse. Once you have it on the edge of your dog, then press the insert key again. Now (while still in object select mode), select the horizontal arrow so that it turns yellow. Then hold down the "x" key while you drag the yellow arrow to the center line of the grid. Your dog should now be exactly centered on the grid.

When you duplicate, your dog will be perfect and all you have to do is merge the verts of both halves. Sorry but I can't think of what the arrow thing is called.

If I didn't make any sense let me know and I'll explain it better with some pics.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 16-10-2007 , 10:34 AM
1. Select all verts and press "r" for the scale tool.
2. Left click and drag on the red square and keep scaling inward until you can't scale no more.

All your verts will be lined up vertically now.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 16-10-2007 , 10:38 AM
3. Press "F8" to goto select object mode.
4. Press Insert button so you can change the axis location. Your arrows should turn to lines.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 5 16-10-2007 , 10:45 AM
5. press and hold down the "v" key. the center yellow square should turn to a yellow circle. While holding down the "v" key, drag the yellow circle to the edge with your middle mouse button. Once it's in place, press the insert button and the lines should turn to boxes again (the scale tool).

6. press the "w" key to go to the move tool. Then left click on the red arrow. The arrow will turn yellow.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 6 16-10-2007 , 10:51 AM
7. Press and hold down the "x" key (which is the same as snap to grid). The center blue square should change to a blue circle.

8. While holding down the "x" key, drag the yellow arrow with your middle mouse button until you are lined up with the center of your grid.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 7 16-10-2007 , 10:54 AM
Now you can duplicate. (I duplicated -1 in the x direction). After you duplicate then select both sides and combine. Now you are ready to merge your verts.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!
# 8 16-10-2007 , 02:52 PM

No Luck

All I was looking for is how to align the vertices (Perfecto's 2nd post) but the scale tool you suggested don't seem to work...
Problem is there's no 'no more' and I can't tell when they're aligned... Any ideas?

BTW, sorry for being away for so long...

I still have that time consuming problem on my second question. In case it wasn't clear enough I'll attach an image explaining what I meant:

Attached Images
# 9 16-10-2007 , 03:39 PM

Question 1:

I found the part of the video in which it is done:
'Cartoon Dog', part 4, about 10:00 - 16:42 to the end of the video.
I'd have attached an image but I'm having problems with copying images from Winamp...

In this part Kurt uses MOVE tool while holding down the X key if I understood it correctly.
The problem when I try it is that the vertices don't get aligned individually to the axis, but only one vertex gets aligned to the axis and the rest get aligned according to this single vertex user added image.

EDIT: this tutorial is free in case someone wants to see what I'm talking about.

# 10 16-10-2007 , 05:46 PM
Lifetime Member
Benny ,the reason Kurt can do it and you can't is that in the move tool options he has retain component spacing turned off, double click on the move tool and uncheck it and when you snap all the verts will snap to the same position.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 11 16-10-2007 , 08:43 PM

Thanks

It works fine nowuser added image (finally)
Thanks again.

Now can someone help me with my second question? is there a way to make that process quicker?

Benny

# 12 16-10-2007 , 09:03 PM
Lifetime Member
How about using the edge loop select tool and then deleting the whole loop if that works for you .

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 13 16-10-2007 , 10:12 PM
I guess that can work in some cases, thanks.
Benny

# 14 17-10-2007 , 04:14 PM

Final Version

This is about the final version of my cartoon dog.
Thanks for all the help guys, and a big thanks to Kurt for the videos. I learned very much!

I'd put on some textures, but I'm a noob in Maya, and I don't even know where to start. Can someone post a link to a good basic tutorial please?

Benny

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 17-10-2007 , 11:17 PM
I've done some more looking around and didn't find any basic tutorials about texturing user added image (not anything free anyway).
Is it so simple that no one has bothered making one?

so far I played with the basic materials and got this:
My first avatar! user added image (Photoshoped a bit)
EDIT: I smoothed the bottom jaw a bit later

Attached Images

Last edited by BennyK; 17-10-2007 at 11:21 PM.