Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 02-03-2012 , 02:05 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net

UV Mapping

When your UV mapping and using a checker pattern to test for stretching and what not, should I resize the uv map first and than move the UV's around according to that size or leave it large and then resize it after I get the UVs looking right.

# 2 02-03-2012 , 05:38 AM
Technical Director
If I understand your question correctly, what you want to do is make your checker texture repeat a few times in the placement node, therefore making the individual cells smaller. It's much easier to gauge distortion on smaller cells, than larger.

You then want to arrange your UV's in such a way that the cells are the same size all across your mesh. (Scaling, rotating, etc) This means that no part gets more detail, than any other part. However doing this may not be what you want. For example, in games, you usually want the face to have more texture space than, say the hands, as you can fit more detail into it. The shell size is usually directly proportional to what the viewer will see most.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 02-03-2012 , 12:59 PM
MMmmh, I would go into the UV placement node and change the UV repeat value ...

# 4 02-03-2012 , 08:18 PM
ok I will have to try the placement node, my problem is that when I get the pattern to my liking and resize the UVs to fit where I want the checker pattern gets huge and looks like crap again. I tried freezing transforms and deleting history before resizing but it still does it.

I wanted to be more specific on the first post but I was in a rush and only had a minute to get it on.

# 5 03-03-2012 , 03:38 AM
Technical Director
So make the checker repeat more user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 6 03-03-2012 , 06:18 AM
haha aight thanks man

# 7 03-04-2012 , 05:23 PM
So I am in the process of texturing my character, everything but the head and eyes are done. My question is, should I map the inside of the eyelids or mouth? (the extrusions I made that go inside the head, these wont be seen anyway) Also should I map the eye? I found a tutorial on creating a nice looking eye on creative cash but they dont map it, was wondering what your thoughts on this were