Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 226 09-03-2009 , 12:18 AM
murambi: Asante sana, or something like that.

Cheers

-Gio

Gio

Creator of The Talos Project

# 227 28-03-2009 , 02:08 AM
Hey,

Been busy with other projects but here is an update on the latest character sculpt.

user added image

Need some more work on the lips, and more pore work.

Cheers

-Gio

Gio

# 228 01-04-2009 , 01:43 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
nice dude
was wondering if you could point me in the direction of a tut for generating normal maps with maya/zbrush and transfering them into maya cause its eating my head following the documentation that comes with zbrush 2

# 229 01-04-2009 , 03:18 PM
Hi,

Just create a texture for your object, go to the lowest level (you must have your uv's set up already) and hit Zmapper.
If you go to open config, you can select one of the maya configs, I use the best quality one.
Then click on the display section click on the 2.Tangent space map so you can see the results.
Open the normal map tab at the bottom left and if you want you can play with setting to sharpen the map etc and then hit create. If it looks ok hit esc. It will ppear on your model upside down (ready for maya Y direction) as a colour texture (mostly purple).
Just export this out and then perhaps resave it in PS to a more friendly jpeg format and then map it to your bump channel on your objects shader. in the bump2d node in the 2D bump attributes, select Use as Tangent space normals.
And render, that's it.

If you have an object with multiple uv shells which are spread out in some of the non 0-1 texture space Zmapper will not work in ZB3. It used to work in ZB2 though.

Hope that helps. When I get some more time I will be making some proper tutorials going through the whole process eventually.

Cheers

-Gio

Gio

# 230 13-04-2009 , 01:47 AM
Hey all.

Been busy building a city for another project but managed to get some time to do a some texturing

user added image

Cheers

-Gio

Gio

# 231 13-04-2009 , 10:33 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
great texturing, there's something that puts me off with the nose howeveruser added image

# 232 13-04-2009 , 11:35 AM
Thanks. If it's the nostrils, they do look a bit square to me.

Cheers

-Gio

Gio

# 233 13-04-2009 , 01:40 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I was gonna mention that earlier but I thought you may have had that in hand. It also needs a bit more nose/cheek bridge. Otherwise - cool

Jay

# 234 15-04-2009 , 12:42 AM
Subscriber
nice, keep it up, I always loved getting email from this thread user added image

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 235 02-05-2016 , 12:24 AM

It's a God Damn Update...

Hi everyone.

Been a bit of a while since I posted here, or anywhere for that matter. Work kinda got in the way of my personal projects but I have been working away on a bunch of things just hadn't shared anything for a while.

So, I rebuilt the The Talos Project Website. Redid the comic (used to be flash based originally) so touch enabled responsive and all that jazz.

Made a short animated teaser, built a shop, made some posters and tees.

Made some new characters and did some new concept art.

So here we go...

Here a new character:
user added image

Not finished by the way just at a presentable state. Few things to fix up and add, but there is a lot to do so trying to not get too bogged down on one character model...have a longer trailer to animate...

Gio

# 236 06-05-2016 , 05:06 PM

Chinatown Concept

Ok so I did this concept painting for a future chapter but it is also the general concept for my extended teaser trailer that I am working on, which will feature the character in my previous post also.

And yes I will be populating it with lots of walking CG people...

Attached Thumbnails

Gio

# 237 08-05-2016 , 11:11 AM
Just checked out the site, looking great man!
I remember you talking about it several years ago when i used to be a more regular visitor, those were the days.
i'll have to check back in more often to keep updated!

# 238 08-05-2016 , 06:43 PM
Hey,

Cheers. It's getting there again. difficult to juggle a project this big in spare time but I am committed to seeing it though and am in a better position to now. Seeing it through to the bitter end.

And yeah I have been so busy that I also haven't been as active on forums generally but will make more of an effort to post more but also engage in other peoples work too. Always good to share tips with each other.

I'll keep posting here with more stuff but I also have a blog on my website so can follow that to make it easier as I will always update that one first.

Cheers

Gio