Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 11-11-2014 , 08:13 PM
Today I made the "backpack" looking thing that hides the batteries that make the head light up. I don't have the battery covers, so I kinda guessed there. No doubt the have little details that aren't on mine. I'll have to find a good pic that shows em.

[IMG]user added image[/IMG]

And here it is attached to the body:

Here's what I got so far:

And here's a quick render:[IMG]user added image[/IMG]

# 17 14-11-2014 , 07:22 PM

Just did one of the guns today

# 18 15-11-2014 , 05:52 PM
Today I made the staffernacy cromulator. I also gave it a dumb name, because I didn't know what to call it.

# 19 17-11-2014 , 03:45 PM

Lazy day, so I just did this bit and copied a fin over as well. I have no idea what I'm gonna name all these pieces. This bit will probably be the "SCUBA looking de-bigulated fin support"

# 20 17-11-2014 , 06:26 PM
This piece of armour at the base of the tail has been bugging me. It's a mess.

So, I re-made it.

user added image

# 21 20-11-2014 , 04:13 PM
Another question, guys...Look at the image I used as the thumbnail for this thread. You can see there is odd-looking geometry all over the place. That's not actually there; what you are seeing is behind the surface. If I zoom in a bit, it disappears. The pieces aren't intersecting anywhere, and it renders just fine, so why are parts of the model see-through in the viewport?
Oh! Related question! Isn't there a way to render a model and have all the edges visible? I'm sure I've seen such an option somewhere.

# 22 21-11-2014 , 12:30 AM
Just did the lower jaw. At least this bit has a name.

[IMG]6user added image[/IMG]

# 23 06-10-2016 , 11:07 AM
Had some free time, so I went back to this model. I got so many on the go now, and I've yet to finish any. Why am I seeing edges on these pics, that should be hidden behind other geometry?

# 24 18-03-2017 , 04:11 PM
Ahhh...I dug out this model again and came here ...annnnd...boom! All the pics are gone. I guess I used a free image hosting site or something. Nevermind. I only have the arms and upper head left to do. Will post pics soon