Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 23-06-2005 , 05:07 PM

Somehow I duplicated my vertex

Howdy, I am still new so be nice.

So I am trying to make my own little robot and I am working on the foot pads. I am modeling with polygons then converting to SubDs and adjusting then convert back to polys to make more additions or adjustments. Sort like the cartoon dog tut. Well some home I duplicated all my vertex. So when I move a vertex it moves but seems "empty" and makes no adjustments to my geometry. So I tried to merge these extra vertex and they wouldn't merge, no error just didn't merge. So I tried to delete and got some weird looking effects on my model. It looked like two surfaces were so close and one was partially showing through the other. So I grabbed all the vertex and pulled it off to the side and it pulled a duplicate of my model right out. I felt like a magician lol. But I can't delete the copy it deletes the original. When making any modifications or moving it does the action to both. Same with deleting. Anyone have a suggestion to get rid of this "copy" or what I did to create it? Sorta slowing down my creation process. Thanks

edit:: I tried to ungroup it thinking maybe I dupped and grouped, I got error saying "ungroup;
// Error: Can't ungroup leaf-level transforms //"

Now I am really confused lol.

Last edited by SpiffyAnim8ter; 23-06-2005 at 05:11 PM.
# 2 23-06-2005 , 05:32 PM
Subscriber
Normally, verts wont merge if they are too far apart or the option is set to a very very small distance. Try upping the distance in the merge verts options, dont go too high though :-)

# 3 23-06-2005 , 05:34 PM
well the verts are right on top of each other. Some how I did something that duplicated or something. I can make vert changes on one but the other won't show the change. but in object form they are basicly the same thing. If I move it they both move. If I convert to SubD and back they both go. I have been trying to look up some info on leaf level transformations. Maybe that is what I did.

# 4 23-06-2005 , 06:11 PM
I think I figured it out, or at least what it is. In the hypergraph I have an object."subdTessShape3 (mesh)" If I delete this the copy goes away and I think that fixes everything. So I guess my new question is how did this get created? When switching between poly to subd and back does this create extra nodes? Still new so maybe someone could straighten it out. Thanks.

# 5 23-06-2005 , 08:56 PM
It happened to me a couple of times...It seems like it is a bug in Maya. When you convert to SubDs and back to Polys sometimes Maya doesnt remove the SubD version...I guess you just have to do it manually...

# 6 23-06-2005 , 10:38 PM
at least I figured out what it was in the hypergraph so I could delete it.

# 7 23-06-2005 , 10:45 PM
Subscriber
it s not a bug.

this happens when the shape node of subD is active and u convert to poly,

this often happens if u convert back to poly right after converting to subD, since maya automatically makes the shape node active.

# 8 23-06-2005 , 10:50 PM
so if I convert from poly to subd to check it out it is best to just undo back to poly than to convert from subd to poly? I am still getting the hang of want converting to subd will do to my shapes so I switch back and forth quite a bit to see. Still new so this may not be the best workflow to use.

# 9 24-06-2005 , 02:06 AM
Subscriber
here is a script i ued to use when i modeled in maya.

its a toggle for going back and forth from poly to subD in one click.
put this on your shelf or assign it a hot key.

Attached Files
File Type: mel polysubswitcher.mel (4.2 KB, 256 views)
# 10 24-06-2005 , 02:11 AM
Subscriber
oops... double post to da izzie

# 11 24-06-2005 , 06:48 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Vlad