Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 02-11-2002 , 11:15 PM

I need help with 2 things

1. is it possible to apply a shader over a texture or the other way around(so i can put some detail or make it look dirty or older)

2. to make a trust for a engine(those cool blue flame thing)

i am looking for a pic of a spaceship with the kind of thrust i want but anything would help me out alot.

~TJ~

# 2 03-11-2002 , 12:42 AM
The Maya Mountain
You can map the specular of a shader with a file to help dirty it up, or you could use layered textures/shaders.

A blue flame/thrust shouldn't be too hard to make using either particle effects or a soft-body surface with a cool flame shader.

# 3 03-11-2002 , 12:44 AM
ok i have no clue how to do any of that can you explain atleast one of them if not how to do both of them

~TJ~

# 4 03-11-2002 , 02:33 AM
Read my post on questions.....if you clarify what you want in your question then the answer will be customized according to what you asked.

In the topic of your post it states you needed help....mtmckinley would have done a fine job showin ya the right direction, provided that he knows what you were actually asking.

Please be more clear......it helps us out alot....and in turn it will help you a great dealuser added image

Saiyan
user added image

# 5 03-11-2002 , 02:58 AM
and he did help me and he did what i wanted but i was asking another different question

first question was can these be done(well first one was)

second time i asked if he or someone else could explain how to do it user added image

but i understand and will choose my words carefully next time i ask a question

EDIT:
Question just clarified:
ok i think i understood the first answer

How do you make this? A blue flame/thrust soft-body surface with a cool flame shader.

i dont like using particles because it always looks too cloudly(if there is another way tell me hehe plz)

is this better?

Last edited by Apollo15; 03-11-2002 at 03:11 AM.
# 6 03-11-2002 , 03:00 AM
Whats a trust???????user added image

# 7 03-11-2002 , 03:16 AM
The Maya Mountain

Originally posted by mtmckinley
You can map the specular of a shader with a file to help dirty it up, or you could use layered textures/shaders.

This is fairly simple. In your material attributes, you'll see small checkerboard buttons next to each attribute. These are the mapping buttons. By mapping a file to your specular highlight, like a cloud procedural texture, for example, it gives it a "dirty" appearance.

Originally posted by mtmckinley
A blue flame/thrust shouldn't be too hard to make using either particle effects or a soft-body surface with a cool flame shader.

This is a little more complicated, and might be a tough to warrant explaining in a lot of detail in a post like this... The gist of it, would be creating an emitter, perhaps using a nurbs circle, depending on what kind of look you're going for. You'll probably want to use either Cloud particles if you don't have compositing handy, or some sort of hardware particles like multi-point or multi-streak.

By adjusting the particle appearance, speed, emitter rate, etc you can make them look the way you want. You can apply a Newton field to make the points converge or expand, depending on what kind of thrust you're looking for.

Using Softbodies is a bit more complicated, but the gist of it can be found at a cool link here: https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tut...le/candle.html

Good luck. user added image

# 8 03-11-2002 , 03:20 AM

Originally posted by Heinrich
Whats a trust???????user added image

The forward-directed force developed in a jet or rocket engine as a reaction to the high-velocity rearward ejection of exhaust gases. (dictionary.com)user added image

By the way, mtmckinley, excellent reply.

Last edited by adldesigner; 03-11-2002 at 03:27 AM.
# 9 03-11-2002 , 04:26 AM
ah cool thanks alot hehe i'll be posting more questions later about other stuff like this

again thanks alot and i am sorry for my first post user added image

~TJ~

# 10 03-11-2002 , 04:37 AM
The Maya Mountain
No problem.

Don't listen to Saiyan, he's nuts. lol, j/k, man. user added image

Usually, with rather general questions, I give straight up answers and then answer any specific questions regarding the specific solutions that the person asking might be interested in. Much like we did here. user added image

# 11 03-11-2002 , 04:01 PM
It's all good Apollo.....I wasn't trying to be mean.....just asking people to make their intentions clear is all.....no worries user added image user added image

And yes please post more questions.....enjoy your stay user added image user added image

ta ta for nowuser added image

and LOL@adldesigner.....haha......sarcastic......be nice will ya?......LOLuser added image user added image

# 12 04-11-2002 , 12:32 AM

Originally posted by Saiyan

and LOL@adldesigner.....haha......sarcastic......be nice will ya?......LOLuser added image user added image

LOL! Took me a great deal of time to find the perfect pic ... LOL!
Anyway, just kidding, at least it did clear the question up user added image