Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-11-2005 , 06:28 AM
Subscriber

Good example of bad animation - By ME

I had a go at my first bit of animation

Here is a great example of bad animation Right Click and Save As. I was only having a play, still I have a lot to learn!!

Looks like it could be time to buy more points.

I've got a pretty good idea about what's bad about it, but would love some feedback user added image

Cheers
Paul

# 2 25-11-2005 , 07:57 AM
Subscriber
Cool well done Bms. did u make the model too?
my crit would be the leg he kicks fast which is good. but it kinda comes back down too quick, u miss the animation almost user added image

# 3 25-11-2005 , 11:48 AM
Subscriber
I have a lot to learn don't I user added image

I'm going to take a step back and try to get my head around it all. The model is from a competitors Gn___ DVD . It was a gift for my BD a couple of months ago. The DVD is OK, but too slow and boring to watch.

When David announces the Christmas Special offer, I'll buy a few more points and pick up some of the rigging and animation tutorials from here.

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it.

# 4 25-11-2005 , 04:00 PM
Subscriber
Hey, BMS, I think the main thing you have to do is put some extra motion in there - though it is a robot, so i guess it could work...

in my opinion, though, I'd like to see more springiness instead of pure primary movement, there should be gradual transitions of sorts into each movement. I think the initial movements are all good, but there should be more torso twist at the beginning, then more pelvic twist afterwords, a small hint ofa bounceback for the left elbow- overall just a bit more animation occurring in preparation and for the primary animation and also more after the primary animation - just so it's less sharp.

the only other part I have any beef with for the primary animation is the kicking leg. I think the lower leg should bend back to the upper leg before going back down - which is how most martial arts kicks work, I think. Though I'd also like to see some more torso bend - it may be a bit too upright. Which would falloff to neck movement, right now all it does is turn, but there would probably be some bend in this action I think.

anyway, I think it's good so far, keep it up. Spend a bit more time to the subtle movements and I think you'll be all set.

# 5 25-11-2005 , 06:07 PM
Subscriber
A pretty good first pass. All the above comments are definitely good ones. My $.02 is that the robot needs some 'weight". Right now, it looks like it's made of paper! :-) The "follow through" movement after the kick and other secondary movement will be a good place to do this. Also, maybe the leg lift prior to the kick can be a little slower, or have an "ease in" effect.

Remember that your character would have weight in real life, so anything with significant weight (ie a robot limb) that gravity would affect should be animated. Keep up the good work!

Carry on...

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 6 25-11-2005 , 06:19 PM
Subscriber
yo BMS, its very good, id like u to put some life into the robot, when he kicks, make if feel like hes using alot of energy to do that kick, have u watched irobot, if u have, try to think about tha movie and try to keep in mind, when they animated the robots, when they went into combat, they were fighting with lost of movements, i think u should just had lost of emotional movements to the mody, and that should do it, dang i type too much user added image

Aim:Nshad BB Court
msn:nothinbutchains@hotmail.com
# 7 25-11-2005 , 10:58 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Guys for all the great feedback. I think I need to study the motion in real life first then try to recreate it. Only my first crappy attempt but I will make progress . . . well I hope so user added image

I will have another attempt soon.

Cheers
Paul