Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 196 10-10-2008 , 04:06 PM
This should explain it quite enough, haha

Attached Thumbnails

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 197 11-10-2008 , 06:27 AM
19 year Veteran
LOL, Lurch. How did they find that guy for the adams family?

Regarding John Kerry, I always thought he looked more like Herman Munster. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 198 11-10-2008 , 09:42 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Hey all some pretty cool stuff here!

@THX... That Elvis painting look like a filtered photo! Either you cheated, or your just that damn good user added image

I got some free time yesterday, so i did a couple of painting in PS. I havn't really done any PS work before, so it was fun.

... Is there any limit to what you can do with a Wacom?

Attached Thumbnails

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 199 11-10-2008 , 09:44 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
This ones a bit flat, but what ya gonna, eh?

Attached Thumbnails

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 200 11-10-2008 , 01:26 PM
19 year Veteran

Mayaniac wrote:

@THX... That Elvis painting look like a filtered photo! Either you cheated, or your just that damn good

Thanks for the comment Mayaniac. I tried using the photoshop filters a long time ago. They looked like crap. I tried everything that photoshop had. There is not a filter made that can magically give you that kind of look.

I begin my work with a black and white sketch from a black and white reference. I most always convert my refference to black and white. I match the gray scale and level of detail from the reference. After the foundation is finished, I mask in the color. For skin tones I use yellow, red, and blue. I use other colors for clothing and ect... I will also use standard blend modes for colors when ever I can get away with it. I would never attempt to actually paint a piece in full color in photoshop from start to finish. It just wouldn't look good in my opinion. I have seen a few people that can do it, and I know a few people personally that that can do it. I don't have that kind of skill within photoshop. It's a whole lot easier to do it in Black and White and then add the color later. My color stuff is new and I'm still experimenting with different techniques. I mainly work in Black and White.

Regarding your work, I think it's pretty good if your a beginner; however, you really need work on your anatomy before you move any further, then learn lighting. Then move onto color after that. It's not as hard as one would think.

Thanks again for your C&C!

Here are a couple of old pencil sketches I did. The first one is Arnold Schwarzenegger, completed in the early 90's Took me a couple of days to do I was still trying to develop better skill. The anatomy is off.

The second one I did over a year ago. It's a concept drawing for a old maya challenge here at SM. Completed within a hours time. Would have looked alot better if I chose to take more time and care with it.

I have tons of old pencil sketches that I could post here if I wanted. But I would have to actually scan a bunch of them to post here. Don't know if I want to go through all of that.

Last edited by THX1138; 05-12-2010 at 10:11 PM.
# 201 11-10-2008 , 01:28 PM
19 year Veteran

Attached Thumbnails
# 202 11-10-2008 , 01:31 PM
19 year Veteran
Heres another one of a former swimsuit model that I know. Did this one in the early 90's also.

Last edited by THX1138; 05-12-2010 at 10:11 PM.
# 203 11-10-2008 , 01:33 PM
19 year Veteran
Here is another on I did just this summer. Former Ms. Olympia Cory Everson.

Last edited by THX1138; 05-12-2010 at 10:10 PM.
# 204 12-10-2008 , 05:50 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
THX,

you should do some different stage images. from sketch to final. I'd like to see how you do the hair, that final image looks almost photographic in the hair as does the eye, be good to see a breakdown of your process

cheers
Jay

# 205 12-10-2008 , 06:59 AM
19 year Veteran
Cheers Jay user added image Thats a great Idea. I haven't really done a breakdown of my 2D work.

About that last image. The small scale doesn't do it justice. The original is quite large. The best example of how I did it was the same way I did the Kate Beckinsale sketch( Large scale ). I start with line art to get all the basic anatomy down. I can either do this freehanded on paper, or with photoshop. Once the line art is complete and checked for accuracy with the refference I start shading and matching gradients with the refference. This the most time consuming part. The texture comes last. If I cant get the texture I want with a pencil or brush, I will make a texture. Something that makes it "POP". This is where Mayaniac thinks I'm cheating and not actually drawing the work. That magical filter he thinks exist's in photoshop.

Once the whole foundation is complete I will move on to the color, the easier part. What I'm doing is converting black and white to color. It's all done with masks. A 3 layer mask to be exact. Found the technique on a tutorial from photographers web site. I will try to find the address and post it here.

Here is a example with a real photograph. The original black and white had to be color corrected to bring back the proper gray scale info. The color is still somewhat flat but I consider it finished because it was just a learning experience. I apply this same technique to a black and white sketch. I am still working with different techniques but this method has proven the best so far.

BTW, the original black and white photo is from the tutorial I found.

Last edited by THX1138; 05-12-2010 at 10:10 PM.
# 206 12-10-2008 , 07:11 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
THX

that would be cool.

Interesting you show the grayscale to color pic. this is how I started out in my digital career. I use to restore and color old photos for a couple of years, it helped me learned PS quite well.

I dont know if you know already but when restoring or coloring old images like this scan it in as a color image then in the channels pallette switch the image to the red channel, red has the most information of any color and detail is easier for the human eye to pic up from this. With the red channel selected convert the image to a grayscale then back to rgb to get a good set of cleaned channels ready for coloring or adjusting....

thats my tip of the day

Jay

# 207 12-10-2008 , 11:31 AM
19 year Veteran
Cheers Jay, thats a very interesting tip. user added image I will try it out.
BTW here is a link to a tut I think does what your talking about. Let me know if it's not. LINK

Ok Here is one tutorial I learned from to color my stuff. It's not the one that used the pic I showed ( cant seen to find it anymore ) but it uses the same exact process by using masks. The tut only uses 3 colors for skin tones but you can use any color you want for other stuff and experiment to get different results. The tut is mostly dialog with some progress pics so you will have to really pay attention to what is being said or you will get lost. Once you get use to the process it becomes really easy to do. Most all other tut's just use blend modes, and while the result looks good, it's not as good as what masks will get ya IMO.

LINK

Give me a few days to find something to do and I will post progress pics here for you to see.

# 208 19-10-2008 , 12:51 PM
Banned
Khazam! The green poser!

user added image

# 209 18-03-2009 , 02:04 AM
Hi to all! Only just spotted this thread so thought I'd add something, this is some line drawing I did a while back for a Cd cover, if I can get hold of the finished version I'll post it sometime in the future.

Attached Thumbnails
# 210 18-03-2009 , 10:14 AM
Not been in this thread for a while, my last post was the cartoon rhino dodgeball player on the earlier pages.

Some stunning work on here.

Here is another piece i did a few months back for my G.F.

Attached Thumbnails