Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 121 07-07-2008 , 05:59 AM
19 year Veteran
Cheers Jay!! Took me a while to finish that one. The fur was a nightmare let me tell ya. I'm almost finished with a dog I'm working on right now.

# 122 07-07-2008 , 09:23 AM

My friend's skatch

Something nice my friend did using a pen, a piece of paper, 2 minutes and the boringness of our elementary-school-level Java lessons (poorly photographed and photoshoped onto my PC by me :attn: ) :
user added image

I think I'll try to model it now that the summer holidays started - doesn't look too difficult and I should have the time now user added image
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)

Last edited by BennyK; 04-10-2008 at 08:36 AM.
# 123 08-07-2008 , 10:30 AM
hey - nice cheetah thx1138 - looks cool. user added image

# 124 08-07-2008 , 02:47 PM
Subscriber
THX1138: damn that cheeter looks awesome

BennyK: reminds you of Kurt? it reminds me of a digimon :p

# 125 08-07-2008 , 09:15 PM
19 year Veteran
Cheers arran, Chirone! user added image

Don't know if anyone here remembers the old tv series Buck Rogers. It only ran for 2 seasons 1979 and 1980. It was canceled because season two lost some viewers. Anyway, I did a sketch of Erin Gray as "Colonal Wilma Deering" She was the hottest looking babe on TV at that time. I hear they are considering a remake of Buck Rogers, as if thats not a new thing in the land of hollywood.

Reference was from a desktop I found on the net. It's not 100% accurate with the reference, but I don't care, enjoy! user added image

Last edited by THX1138; 05-12-2010 at 10:12 PM.
# 126 08-07-2008 , 09:17 PM
Subscriber
hmm buck rogers....

that was a bit before my time :p
but it sounds like i've heard of it before

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 127 08-07-2008 , 09:23 PM
Subscriber
did you do this???

Muser added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 128 08-07-2008 , 09:29 PM
19 year Veteran
I was 6 when it was released on tv back then. Looking back at it now it's way too corny. The only thing that makes it watchable IMO is Erin Grey. I also miss all of the other TV series like The Fall Guy, Dukes of Hazard, Fantasy Island, Dallas, Falcons Crest, to name a few. It's sad they don't make stuff like that anymore. Everything now is all reality and I am really tired of all the"American Idol" based contests that have invaded tv.

# 129 08-07-2008 , 09:31 PM
19 year Veteran

did you do this???

Yes.

# 130 08-07-2008 , 09:37 PM
nice job again mate user added image - i used to love buck rogers user added image

# 131 08-07-2008 , 09:46 PM
19 year Veteran
Cheers arran!user added image Glad to know that there are some here that remember it.

# 132 08-07-2008 , 09:49 PM
Subscriber
i was going to offer advice is all.., but now, i can see from the cheater sketch you dont need it..,

the cheater sketch respects the fact there are no lines in life, just shades and hard or soft edges caused by shadow, reflected light and such, great dynamics from drak to light (contrast)

this one has hard edges and no dynamic range of values (no contrast, the blacks neeed to be at 0 while the whites at 100.., and the mids respectfully in line with those values.., in other words if this was a colour image it would be in need of a good vectorscope going over user added image and so.., it looks flat.., there is also a strange glow (which could be sylyised??) around her, the face looks disjointed because there is so much more detail there.., not sure, looks like the helmet has been drawn around the head.., like you spent so much time on the face you got tired of the rest of the drawing

but i imagine this to be simply a draft and a very well done one indeed user added image

dont be afraid to get in there with a very sharp 6B user added image

dont take this the wrong way mate user added image

buck rogers?? last tie i saw that it was a comic???

# 133 08-07-2008 , 10:14 PM
19 year Veteran
Cheers mirek03!! user added image Thanks for the C&C!

Yeah the Erin Gray piece is more of a draft piece than anything else. It was meant to look like that, and the glow around her is intentional. I payed alot more attention to the face and body anatomy than anything else.

About the helmet/head. It was drawn like the reference. I think the helmet was too big on her head when she shot for the photo, and it sets crooked on the head, making the head look dissjointed. The helmets were rather over sized on all the characters. The helmet in the pic looks like some one grabbed one that was probably not her size and she had to crook her head a tad for the photo.

I might redo this piece again and give it mega detail, and fix the helmet issue.

Thanks again!

# 134 08-07-2008 , 10:44 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Erin Gray Rock on!!!

I still watch the odd Buck Rogers re runs on Sky when I can to to 'gag' on Erin, she was gorgeous back in the day!!

My friend and I used to make Super 8 animation movies years back, and on the end Credits we used to put the usual 'directed by' etc, but we used to add the credit of:

Girl on Cutting Room Floor..........Erin Gray

I dunno school boy humour just isnt the same these days:hug:

Jay

# 135 08-07-2008 , 10:51 PM
Subscriber
cheers mate, dig that cheeta user added image yea, i think the litle extra effort always makes the whole thing look better.., in any/every case user added image

problem.., i recently put up a realflow sim with a bad camera move.., all anyone noticed was the bad camera move.., LOL, some kind soul reminded me.., like sales.., 10 years to build a good rep.., one day to bring it down user added image

hey jay, i just got an as new 16mm.., made is japan around the early 60s.., lens to kill for.., but the price of film.., digitizing..,

anyway, those were the days