Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 76 13-02-2007 , 06:10 AM
This might give you some idea

https://www.antropus.com/

In the galleries section theres a "triclopse"with a wireframe. The website is full of great little tutorials etc for modeling from, IMO a great artist.

As you can see, to echo Jays comments, the basic principles are the same.

Also as some advice that was given to me by Jay, try drawing/sketching out your mesh over a concept drawing so thatyou can see how the loops look, that way you wont get into a mess when your making your model as youve got some idea of how the geo flows.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 77 20-02-2007 , 12:38 AM
thought I drop a pic too. edgeLoop might be not too perfect but it is working well. still needs some work.

Attached Thumbnails

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 78 23-02-2007 , 12:00 PM
Nice model, here is mine, it isn't finished and i have a question.What was the base object that you used to model the ear?

Attached Thumbnails
# 79 23-02-2007 , 02:23 PM
base was the cap of a cylinder. but i really dont have a system with modeling ears. it´s just one big mess with adding and deleting edges. but after 3-4 hours i get something like a ear.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 80 27-02-2007 , 04:39 PM
thank you everyone!

I can effort more and more

Art is no words!
# 81 28-02-2007 , 12:22 AM
Is creating a body with 3-sided polys while using sub-ds a bad idea?
I've heard people argue that sub-ds are okay doing this even when rigging for animation.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 82 28-02-2007 , 12:59 AM
The odd tri or n gon in the right place dosent make much of a difference. I personally try to keep it to all quads, just for ease of uving etc etc.

On another note, prior to maya 8 Mental ray wouldent render a sub D form a tri or a n-gon

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 83 28-02-2007 , 01:24 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
For me its pointless doing tris on a subd, its just another ballache. Also its worth bearing in mind that any subd with tris etc will get turned into quads if you convert it to a poly, my point being you are going to have odd looking quads in areas you dont want them. So planning ahead can always be of help especially if you intend to rig and animate...

Jay

# 84 12-03-2007 , 12:31 PM

here is a querie for the thinkers out there

whn i model for a head i end up with about 6 to 8 poly's to make or attach an ear out of/to this amounts to many hours either multiplying and deleting geometry (we have all been there no doubt) is there a good amount of geo we should be tartgeting in this area

"Climbing the walls of the 'Uncanny Valley"
# 85 12-03-2007 , 12:41 PM

refference to Dr Julien

looking at the heads further up this page i would think that the good Dr has it with his three parrallel edges from the top of the nostrel arch to under the eye and across the cheek and from the corner of the eye running down the cheek

Attached Images

# 86 12-03-2007 , 07:23 PM
bruce dwyer

For an ear I usually give myself 8 polys to work from on the side of the head to extrude. Go to page 4 of this thread I posted an ear a while back.

The lines on the Dr are most likely added later. It was probably a bit of a mission to sort out where to place the extra geometry but knowing that Julian Johnson Mortimer did it, I doubt he had much trouble, he's a pretty cool 3d artist. But with the advent of Zbrush and mudbox adding the detail like this isnt really necessary now unless you havent got those bits of software of course

Cheers
Jay

# 87 12-03-2007 , 08:25 PM

yeh you are right Jay

he does draw them in later now that i remember the tut:bow:

# 88 14-03-2007 , 10:53 AM
600 polygons (most in the ears).

Attached Thumbnails
# 89 27-03-2007 , 12:20 AM
ctbram

good going, though Id add more polys, this will help you control uvs a bit better too if you are goingto texture the model. Also sort the odd looking quad on the cheek out, that may cause problems.

Jay

# 90 24-04-2007 , 02:39 PM
Subscriber
Hey all,
Heres a head that i made today. I want to know if there is anything majorly wrong with the topology before i start detailing it more.

Attached Thumbnails

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge