Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 16-02-2008 , 04:19 AM

The Talos Project - WIP

Gio

Creator of The Talos Project

# 2 16-02-2008 , 06:29 AM
Subscriber
Everything looks like its coming together nicely, good work so far.

Chris

# 3 16-02-2008 , 08:46 AM
Subscriber
Looks sweet, but u said its a girl.. doesnt look like one from the mesh, but its probally just the wires.. can we see it smoothed with no wires? user added image

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 4 16-02-2008 , 11:16 PM
Here

user added image

Gio

Gio

# 5 17-02-2008 , 05:09 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
starjsjswars:
dude give the man a chance, he's just started it. Im sure it wont disappoint once the tweaks start to appear

G: Good start dude. Tell me did you unwrap this in blender or Maya? As it looks pelted.

My thoughts on the uv layout are that the eyes and mouth area should be allowed a larger area for better texture optimisation, and greater detail. Though looking at the map its a Zbrush job right? So projection is okay. But having the larger uv area will allow you to tweak it better if needed. Also, I know Zb corrects seams etc, but I,d get the edges of the uv to go right across to the edges of the 1:1 area. This way you can have the tileable option too in case you need it.

Oh have a look at doing 6k textures for the PSD file . They reduce quite nicely to 2048 with a nicer range of detail right down to 512. even better than a 4k

Cheers lad
_Jay

# 6 17-02-2008 , 05:10 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay
starjsjswars:
dude give the man a chance, he's just started it. Im sure it wont disappoint once the tweaks start to appear
_Jay

? i know i was just saying from the wires.... no pun intended.. in fact i like the model alot user added image

do it too gio user added image

good job:attn:

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 7 17-02-2008 , 05:23 AM
LOL cool, npuser added image

_J

# 8 17-02-2008 , 05:28 AM
starjsjswars: Cheers

Jay: UV'd in blender and projected the textures in maya actually. The way I remember showing back at the sun but I never actually used it myself until now. Thought it would be a better way of getting higher resolution than zbrush projection since in zbrush it's document and display dependent and as I can output 4K textures in maya now.

Once I'm happy with the shape, I'll do a blink blend and finish mapping the lids, if I don't get enough res I'll prob shift it around a bit using the cool new UV smudge brush.

Thanks

Gio

Gio

# 9 17-02-2008 , 05:31 AM
Yeah same here with the 4ks in Maya, it can go up to 8 if you fancy it LOL

looking good though. Must sort out a day to meetup soon....

Jay

# 10 17-02-2008 , 05:42 AM
cheers, took the opportunity to take out that extra loop around the mouth as well since I consider this a fresh model thought I would correct a few things while I'm at it.

Defo about meeting up.

G

Gio

# 11 18-02-2008 , 11:14 PM
Ok, here's a little update, a few tweaks though not done yet

user added image

Cheers

Gio

Gio

# 12 18-02-2008 , 11:35 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
This is coming together nicely.

Theres a few problems with the ear, though I'm sure you've already noticed this. Plus the top lip is a bit big.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Nice work!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 13 19-02-2008 , 01:01 AM
Coming along....

G: I had to laugh and shake my ol noggin though as Ive been coming across this situation with the more 'junior' modellers at work. they all seem to be getting the textures on before completion of the model, like this. But then turning it to me and the Character designer in London, then having the thing ripped apart by myself because of bad modelling and none likeness of the concept art, and because of that I end up redoing the uvs and adding new textures too. the amount Ive corrected on characters over the last few months is staggering and on top of that Ive built and textured 27 new characters from scratch...my ol portfolio is filling up mate

But I know the mesh here is good so...

Cheers
Jay

# 14 19-02-2008 , 01:06 AM
Mayaniac: I agree about the lip and have knocked it down a tad but not entirely sure what you mean about the ear

Jay: In this case it made sense as I matched the head to the photo's and projected first so it matched as I have deviated from the photos since as I haven't found the right model for what I want, and to be honest I still keep changing my mind a bit on how this girl should look as I have two female characters and want them to be different.

I'll prob be fiddling for a while...

Gio

# 15 19-02-2008 , 01:09 AM
cool, did you get Imagine fx? theres some girl reference on the cd.
If not I'll post them over, plus go to characterdesign .com, they have loads over there and its all free, and dudes too so all welcome manner of references

Cheers
Jay