Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 17-10-2008 , 07:23 AM

Ouch!

This story is kinda funny...

On Wednesday, I pulled a few muscles in my left arm while moving my computer (and it ain't that heavy too user added image )

No big deal... surely a few days rest, some Voltaren gel and an ice pack would do... But it hurt quite a bit, so I held that arm in a particular way cause it was more comfortable. Turns out to have been a big mistake!

A few hours later, I couldn't move my left hand! user added image

I visited the doctor and he thinks that the way I held my arm injured one of the nerves that controls the hand, which means I have to wear a wrist splint 24/7 for three weeks so my hand (which just hangs there) won't damage anything else...

So for three weeks, I won't be able to do anything with my left arm so anything which requires two arms or hands is out of the question... no games, or typing (took me five minutes to type this with one hand), etc. Oh well... user added image

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 2 17-10-2008 , 07:39 AM
Acid44
that sucks... but i coulnt help but laugh...

at least you can still do maya.. really slowly but you still can :p

# 3 17-10-2008 , 07:48 AM

Originally posted by acid44
that sucks... but i coulnt help but laugh...

LOL. My friends also LOLed at the story... :p

Originally posted by acid44
at least you can still do maya.. really slowly but you still can :p

For some reason, that reminded me of House... now, all I have to do is to find some Vicodin... :p

# 4 17-10-2008 , 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
I just visualized someone effing up their arm lifting a PC that isn't even heavy in the first place and I'll admit, I laughed, am I a bad person? LOL. First Benny and now you. Take it easy man, you don't want any permanent damage.

- Genny
# 5 17-10-2008 , 09:00 AM
I don't know why but hearing about you makes me suddenly feel better user added image
I almost broke my hand on an arm bar in a BJJ contest two days ago... stretched a ligament in the elbow, hope it's nothing permanent - for both of us.
At least I can move it :attn:

barely user added image

Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 6 17-10-2008 , 09:36 AM
Subscriber
first benny and now you?
wonder who's next...

you gota get used to typing with one hand
i'm either lazy or i have a cold hand so while one stays under the leg tthe other types.

my friend toold me i have too much practice at doing it because she saw how fast i was going....

i didn't think you could do maya woth just gone hand. don't you need one to hold down alt while you navigate?

*imagines trying to hold down alt with his chin*

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 7 17-10-2008 , 10:11 AM
@ GecT

Lol... just for the record, my computer isn't a Macbook Air... I now wonder if anyone injured themselves carrying one of those... user added image

@ Benny

Ouch! You nearly broke your hand... But at least it was while doing martial arts (I assume you are reffering to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) while I injured myself while trying to move my computer... which was not that heavy... :p

I probaly need to get away from the computer and get some more exercise... user added image

@ Chirone

You might want to rephrase your second paragraph in your post... user added image
I misread it, lol, and accidentally hurt my arm...

I've typed this post a bit quicker than my first... I guess I must be getting better at it... user added image

And the alt key? I've never used the alt key in Maya... am I missing something here? When I first started Maya, I didn't know there was a bevel feature... so I made the bevels manually... :p

user added image Heres to getting better!

# 8 17-10-2008 , 10:34 AM
Subscriber
haha, i think the second phrase is happy where it is. making people misread things is great fun :p

eeeeeeeeeeeeeh??? doesn't everyone use the alt key?
how....do...you....? how do sleep at night? no actually, how do you navigate the scene? you can't tell me you just transform the model to look all around it?

am i missing something as well? can you actually navigate around a scene without using the alt key? user added image

also...you cant use all the marking menus with just one hand... you need the shift and ctrl keys....

ali+left mouse to orbit
alt+middle to pan
alt+right to zoom

i thought these were things you know when your born user added image

i think i've only had injuries during training (well, preparing for training).

you need to buy your self some swords user added image

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 9 17-10-2008 , 11:48 AM
Subscriber
What an unfortunate thing to happen,
I hope everyones arms are feeling good. I couldnt stand not being able to use mine.

And if your having trouble typing just get Voice Recognition software.
Imagine that with MAYA

"COMPUTER... Create beutifull Cg Lady....alllriiiggghhttt"

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 10 17-10-2008 , 12:02 PM
Acid44
LMAO that would be AWESOME!!!

@Chirone - one of the menus in the viewspace has the camera tools in it, it'd be a pain but it would work...

# 11 17-10-2008 , 12:12 PM
@ Chirone

Oh yes, the alt key... now I remember... :blush:

Yeah, I use it... I just didn't get what you meant by "navigating"... I thought of menus and all that for some reason...

@ Some Guy

IBM ViaVoice... I got myself a cheap copy for fun... You have to spend two hours calibrating the thing and then speak really slowly so it can understand... :p

Maybe if you blink a series of codes to a webcam... three blinks would be like make a poly cube or something... user added image

# 12 17-10-2008 , 12:31 PM
Acid44

Originally posted by The Architect
Maybe if you blink a series of codes to a webcam... three blinks would be like make a poly cube or something... user added image

that would be crazy hard for all the commands in maya

# 13 17-10-2008 , 12:33 PM
Subscriber
you can trackwhere your eyes are pointing

the challenge would dthen be to decide if a blink really is a click... what if you blink when you dont ant to, or if you kept your eyes open for a good 7 or 8 minutes :p

# 14 17-10-2008 , 12:38 PM
Open CV would possible be the best bet for some thing like that.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 15 17-10-2008 , 12:39 PM
How about thinking?

You think about a cube, a cube shows up on screen!