Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 196 03-10-2010 , 09:50 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Update

Im pleased with this as I was worried about the texture standing up. just checking its all going to work as the scale is pretty big. And gotta keep an eye on the displacement when its output for the final render as scale is an issue for them in Maya.

Some of this will be matte painted over too once its finally rendered etc.

cheers
Jay

user added image

# 197 05-10-2010 , 04:17 AM
Awesome work Jay, The textures are looking spot on and hold up really well. Always have trouble maintaining a sense of scale when I texture large landscapes for maya.

Look forward to seeing the final image in all its glory.

# 198 05-10-2010 , 04:29 AM
Lifetime Member
Wow thats coming along nicely Jay!! I dig it man......

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 199 05-10-2010 , 08:44 AM
Thanks Guys

going to try and do some more later this evening. It needs a little more variation in the rocks, so just need a few more texture tiles to drag in Zb4. The boulders will be added to as well, then I'll run a noise pass in Zb too and then extract a normal map for those.

cheers
J

# 200 06-10-2010 , 01:44 AM
Subscriber
Hey mate, First off
Scene still coming along nicely.
Curious, how much of hte detail did you recently add to the ship, seeing as last shots of it were at a distance oform the outside, Or has it always been detailed out like this?

As far as the Ahem ship, No worries on the Turntable atm, Take your time there, I'd rather see you spend that time on ....getting eh the other parts done, if you catch my drift? ...My turntable can wait till.., later.

Still watching Skype for you mate
Talk soon
G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 201 06-10-2010 , 08:24 AM
LoZ

Its always been this detailed mate, I havent added anything at all. I think theres a WiP image of it on this thread somewhere.

Yeah I'll skype when I can, been working late, up until midnight some nights so...

Cheers
J

# 202 06-10-2010 , 10:15 PM
Subscriber
I understand mate,
IF you get a heads up just e-mail me the day before so i can be prepared to make sure i don't miss you.
talk soon,
luck on the new job mate

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 203 19-10-2010 , 09:35 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hi Jay

How are you?

It's coming along nicely and kudoos for hanging in there, I do feel there are some scaling issues going on however either the ship is to big or the surrounding mountains are to small.. at least that is how I look at it.

I would make the mountains a bit harder ( rougher edges , maybe showing different sediment layers ( more contrast) ).

I can highly recommend using Vue for stuff like this.

I love the progress though

edit:
I would definetly scale up the mountains, it looks small because of the fact the spaceship hardly fits giving it a cropped feeling, making it smaller ( similar to a fat guy wearing a shirt with horizontal stripes user added image )

# 204 19-10-2010 , 10:08 PM
Hey Mastone

thanks for your input.

the scale isnt really an issue as you can see by the image below. I think people forget about camera lenses and how they can affect an image. The scale is fine for me, it isnt a mountain range as such nor was it intended to be, its just a canyon ravine type set.

I am looking at different strata for the rocks and have tons of references for it. Right now I just dont have time to proceed any further on this for at least another week or so as Im up to my ears in modeling and supervising a build on a new Luc Besson produced movie. Most likely the final set will be a projection and mattes. Im really not going to venture into vue as again, no time to learn it, plus its really slow in the render. Im better off in Maya right now. Also the dis and normal maps aren't applied either so its far from the finished scene.

cheers for now

J

user added image

# 205 19-10-2010 , 11:02 PM
Lifetime Member
I dont wear shirts with stripes...lucky for everyone. The long shot does give it a different perspective.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 206 20-10-2010 , 06:57 AM
LOL same here - nice one bullet

J

# 207 20-10-2010 , 08:17 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL I hear ya Jay...try vertical stripes that pinch in the middle...gives the Atlas look bahahah. Colours like this breakaway in Cooper Pedy???

Image is copyright..I think??

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 208 26-10-2010 , 09:19 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
# 209 26-10-2010 , 09:30 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL indeed user added image

bullet1968

# 210 26-10-2010 , 10:10 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay

The boulders will be added to as well, then I'll run a noise pass in Zb too and then extract a normal map for those.

cheers
J

How do you mean by this Jay? A noise pass??