Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 211 06-11-2010 , 10:11 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Guys

Sorry for the late reply:

MAstone: Yes I know that one LOL, the power of perspective eh LOL.

BenHobden: Its just a term used. Like a color pass, or AO pass. I'll use the noise plugin in ZB4 to create an uneven bump surface for the rocks - hence noise pass. Hope that helps

For some reason my OutlawsTales site is down, and I cant get hold of the bastards at technical support to see what the hell is going on. Its been nearly 4 days now!!

will keep you updated anyway as always with any new stuff

cheers
Jay

# 212 02-12-2010 , 11:16 PM
Blimey an update!! I actually rejected the final image for the latest Outlaws page as I thought the backdrop was just awful.

Ive basically decided to go the matte painting route and use projection cameras instead of farting about with uv textures that at the end of the day regardless of their rez wont stand up to close up scrutiny as oppsed to as projection.

the new model backdrop, with lower rez geo too. This will get rendered without a texture, bought into ps, painted and then reprojected via a projection camera in the same position.

cheers
Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 213 02-12-2010 , 11:30 PM
I like spaceships. I need to go through all these Jay its been a long time but I have been up to my eyeballs putting out fires lately.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 214 02-12-2010 , 11:50 PM
Subscriber
Be interesting to see you work this way round. I did my second ever matte projection in Maya over the last couple of days, but never built geometry first, then painted it. I figure, quality projections probably work much better if you build the geometry first, rather than just using simple cards and planes for hills and cliffs and bits. Having worked the 'simpler' way around for my last two matte paint/projection projects, I figure this 'geometry first, textures second' workflow, is the way to go to push up a gear

# 215 03-12-2010 , 12:52 AM
Lifetime Member
Jeez mate...thought you had been sucked into a rogue wormhole and had appeared in another part of the universe...surrounded by babes and beers and had forgotten your past.

Good to see its still on mate

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 216 21-02-2011 , 01:59 PM
Well a small update for those on this thread.....

follow the link below at Outlaws Tales to see the final version

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 217 21-02-2011 , 02:47 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Nice. The final image looks great.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 218 21-02-2011 , 03:40 PM
Subscriber
Very nice indead

# 219 21-02-2011 , 07:12 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
skill my man real skill..................

# 220 21-02-2011 , 08:38 PM
Thanks guys for the kind words

As I mentioned before (I think) the idea was to do a matte painting, the majority of the mountains are 2d, with only 3d geo for support of the light and shade so I knew where to paint and color overlay the textures as well. The ship, rocks and ground are 3d, the dust is a particle with also a fluid fog effect thrown in too. The fluid fog was a preset in Mayas visor which I tinkered with until I was happy with the final look.
I also rendered out Z depth passes for fog distance too, plus spec and ambient environment passes for the ship so it sits better in the surroundings, also a little bit of color correction overall was done so everything looked in place for the final image

Am working on the new page now....between other stuff...

Jay

# 221 21-02-2011 , 11:00 PM
Lifetime Member
Congrats on the new gig mate...and the latest page was bloody nice mate...loved the backdrop against the ship. Fisherman eh!! well I havent been for quite a while but I hope to head south to Bussleton this Easter for the salmon run...if Im lucky I will send some pics...they go from 2-10kg...he he he he on the beach...bewdiful.

Unusual looking beast the fella above...interesting...I will keep watching.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 222 21-02-2011 , 11:30 PM
haha cheers Bullet

Im looking forward to fishing at Easter and have a good break from work. Im a carp fisherman and although I fish lakes and fisheries, they can go to 60LB+ here.

fingers crossed for a personal best

Jay

# 223 22-02-2011 , 12:03 AM
Subscriber
Jay, Looks great mate. Glad to see it up and finished. Looking forward to pages 31+ now user added image

We need to try and catch up some time soon. Been a while since we really spoke mate.
G-man

# 224 22-02-2011 , 01:19 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL fair enough but the old Noahs Ark (shark) might have something to say about it over here...they tend to want to share the catch LOL. Take a look at some of the West Aussie fishing on the net mate...got some WILD stuff up North man...that is balltearing stuff!!

bullet1968

# 225 22-02-2011 , 08:05 AM
G Man

Cheers dude, yeah definately, would be good.......

J