Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 27-01-2012 , 11:43 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

3 possible reasons I am thinking of. One is that the process I have been using alot lately is to model my bases in Maya, sculpt in z, then export the sculpted level 1 to Maya for uv-ing and then importing the uvd mesh back to z. As the topology is always the same the detail transfers no problem onto the newly uv'd mesh.... But in the current case there were a couple of verts that somehow got adjusted so there are a couple of issues with how the detail transferred.

Here's a better way to UV your characters.

If you've not UV mapped your critter before you sculpted all the detail, and now need to, and wish to avoid all the hassle of transferring detail and cleaning up any mess. Plus avoid the taxing of your system if you have mutlti-million poly meshes. Then UVMaster is your friend!

Just export the lowest sub-division of your mesh, import it into UVmapping program of choice, UV it, export it back to Z. Now import the mesh and go to Zplugin> UV Master> Copy UVs

user added image

Then change tool to your Highpoly mesh, then Zplugin> UV Master> Paste UVs

user added image

If you don't have UVmaster plugin, you can get it here:

https://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/features/UV-Master/

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 17 28-01-2012 , 12:31 AM
Subscriber
Ah, nice.... I'd not thought of that!

Is that a recent model of yours Steve?

# 18 28-01-2012 , 12:44 AM

Ah, nice.... I'd not thought of that!

Is that a recent model of yours Steve?

Yeah, thought I'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Post some work, and share a tip.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 19 28-01-2012 , 01:56 AM
hi Ben, regarding fingers/thin geometry/unwanted rear face influence - have you tried turning on back face masking under brush modifiers? That should help prevent that.

# 20 28-01-2012 , 02:33 AM
Lifetime Member
I would like to see your hard surface stuff steve! I want to see what Z can do with it...from what I have seen on examples it still isnt good for it?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 21 28-01-2012 , 09:36 AM
Subscriber
Gubar: ta..... I have tried it before but I didn't really notice it make any real difference. I'll give it another go.

Steve: I love it.
I see in your base mesh you have extruded down for those dips at the base of the neck... I did that on a model recently and it worked really well.
I like the topology of your torso area particularly the pecs and the flow out to the shoulders looks like it would produce really nice, natural arm movement. And the concentric topology of the six pack area growing from the middle out and then wrapping up and round the back.
Did you model that as is pre-sculpt, or have you re-topo'd to achieve that?

# 22 28-01-2012 , 09:49 AM
Lifetime Member
Oh boy, nice creature Steve. Love it every bits of it and thanks for the UV tips. Always learning and I'm keeping this one! Looking forward to see him textured user added image

# 23 28-01-2012 , 12:32 PM
odd that, backface masking should work for all brushes. I've never had a problem anyway.

# 24 28-01-2012 , 01:39 PM
Lifetime Member
Me playing around in mud. user added image

Attached Images

Last edited by cgisoul; 28-01-2012 at 01:45 PM.
# 25 28-01-2012 , 02:48 PM
Lifetime Member
Found this FREE tutorial from 3D World site at https://www.3dworldmag.com/2011/03/05...oll-in-mudbox/

It's composed by 21 videos that goes from start to end, showing the entire process that includes sculpting, painting and map extractions. Pretty awesome!

Hope that helps everyone!

# 26 28-01-2012 , 04:32 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
# 27 29-01-2012 , 01:07 AM
Ben: I used a human model I made in Maya, but it quickly got too distorted to be useful, so I retopologised it. Yeah, I find adding definition in those areas is key, keeps the forms solid even at the lowest subdivision, plus it forces more resolution through the area. If you want you could PM me a shot of your model too, I might see something previously missed.

Bullet: Yeah, I'll post up some of the hard-surface stuff soon. I've seen ZB be used very successfully with hard-surface models, but I've only used it to concept a particular design. I then just use the ZB sculpt as reference to create proper hard-surface meshes.

cgisoul: Cheers, yeah now he's UV'd I'll be throwing some polypaint down, and will probably follow a process very similar to the one you have just done. Oh, and that's a cool start in Mud there. It's funny how it seems ZB and MudBox are more and more trying to emulate each other? Each screen grab I see of MB looks more and more like ZB.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 28 29-01-2012 , 03:56 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks mate. Yeah, they both are very similar in their core functionality: sculpting.
But mud is still very behind, specially on the lack of brushes type and other functionality.
Mud is a no brainer really and I love the posing, weight tools and overall use.
I am very excited to see what Mud 2013 will bring to its users next. The two things I really hope to see is better performance and new retopo tools. I love the integration within Maya and Mud, very fluid.
Looking forward to see your painted mesh user added image

# 29 29-01-2012 , 04:11 AM
Lifetime Member
Yeh steve Im curious what a sculptor can come up with..(say an aircraft)...I assume this is without a base mesh from Maya? from what I have seen its not bad but I still prefer the accuracy of a modeller....Z looks too painful to me LOL.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 30 29-01-2012 , 10:07 AM
Subscriber
Steve: very true.

I'm away for the weekend but I'll try remember to send you a pm when I get home.