Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 31 29-01-2012 , 12:23 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Mudbox's biggest strength over Zb is its 32bit ability on textures (in and out) plus its vector displacement tool...insane.

Zbrush is better for sculpting overall though............

I wouldnt say they are trying to emulate each other though, its just the usual software battle like it used to be (MAx vs Maya etc) both do the same things but in a different way.

But...... Imagine if Autodesk did an interface like Zbs...you'd all shit yourselves!! LOL

cheers
Jay

# 32 29-01-2012 , 04:16 PM
Lifetime Member
And the transfer joints too, that alone is also very good.

I think they would lose some Customers with the change of UI, but yes, that would be scary indeed. user added image Buh! Gotcha ya!

I've been searching for news around the "globe" for mudbox 2013 and nothing, besides the usual threads back in the Area forum. Wondering when will they come up with new releases. Soon, no?
Sigh......

# 33 29-01-2012 , 04:51 PM
Lifetime Member

Fibermesh to splines ?

# 34 29-01-2012 , 04:59 PM
Lifetime Member

script for maya

# 35 29-01-2012 , 06:04 PM
EduSciVis-er
It is 2012 now... time to put out the 2013 software.

# 36 11-02-2012 , 01:53 AM
Subscriber
lol its like the next model car, introduce the future today... even though its really today.

Anyway question with using mudbox. Do i need to complete my model (mirrored, boned, and everything) before I send it over from maya? Also is the stuff you do in these programs applied as a texture onto the low poly models?

Last edited by MamoruK; 11-02-2012 at 02:30 AM.
# 37 11-02-2012 , 07:22 AM

Mudbox's biggest strength over Zb is its 32bit ability on textures (in and out) plus its vector displacement tool...insane.

Zbrush is better for sculpting overall though............

I wouldnt say they are trying to emulate each other though, its just the usual software battle like it used to be (MAx vs Maya etc) both do the same things but in a different way.

But...... Imagine if Autodesk did an interface like Zbs...you'd all shit yourselves!! LOL

cheers
Jay

Not sure I heard you correctly.

Did you say "shit yourselves or shoot yourselves? Because the interface to ZB is in a nightmare!

Why anyone in their right f'ing mind would intentionally try to emulate the ZB interface would be totally insane. But hey, who knows, some retard thought a new formula for Coca-Cola was a good idea once.

I thought I hated the adobe PS UI until I tried to play with the ZB one. OMFG! I sat there and tried to follow an introduction tutorial and the guy started with a sphere and pulled out a very basic skull shape in like 3 strokes. I then proceeded to spend 4 hours and 4000 presses of control-z to end up with what looked like a radioactive mutated potato!

I have seen the work that has been done with ZB in the hands of real sculptors so it can't be as bad and unintuitive as it feels to me but I am not a sculptor. So my hated of the ZB interface is just a personal one.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 11-02-2012 at 07:29 AM.
# 38 11-02-2012 , 11:51 AM
I said shit yourselves.

My comment of 'emulating each other' was a throw away...dont take it literally. When people start saying they are copying each other and adding the same features I thought 'what if the interfaces were the same' ......hence my comment.

Software stuff is never gonna agree with everyone and they will always look for the next best thing....reminds me of the new VW Golf advert.....'listen to the door shut (on cheaper car) -sounds like a golf' .....blah blah blah -just like a Golf.......

Just buy the Golf FFS!!

anyway onwards
Jay

# 39 11-02-2012 , 11:59 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I personally prefer ZBrush over Mudbox, because the sculpting feels better ( feels a bit clunky in Mudbox).
I don't really like the Zbrush interface but I am used to it now so I don't mind so much anymore and in contradiction to Autodesk, Adobe and all the big players, I feel that Zbrush still has spirit, ingenuity and really come up with cool stuff while Mudbox goes for a more solid workflow.

Mudbox layersystem is way better than that of ZBrush ( especially when you look at the finicky sliderthingies in Z), in Mudbox you can paint over a normal mapped character, there's vector displacement and a 64 bit installer( I am not sure if it is a true 64 bit application).
If you look at these packages based on what hey can do Mudbox is the clear winner, I believe that the only reason why Mudbox hasn't crushed Zbrush to the ground is that a majority of the people don't like Autodesk and if there is an alternative to an Autodesk product people will take it.
In my opinion Pixologic really need to do a couple of things:
-focus on their core strength which is sculpting
-Revise their layer system and the buttons( get rid of those jerky sliders...)
-64 bit version, because I think that when even I as not yet a professional am hitting it's limits ( it's getting sluggish around the 40 miljon mark and I have a pretty good computer still), someone who is building the next model for transformers or whatever movie must get annoyed and have to devise workarounds and what not.
- a proper projectfile structure, Zprojects are to heavy and causes crashes with Spotlight and map extractions and I believe that if you just open a container/reference to a file and not every bit of info of the file it would work a bit quicker

I am not worried about retopo in Zbrush I have looked at it and it's this strange moronic workflow all over again, I think I will have a look at Topogun.
For texturing I am leaning towards MARI ( bloody expensive) or maybe bodypaint

I had been playing around with the Fibermesh addition in Zbrush which is kinda fun although not very usefull in production I think, maybe with that fibermesh to curves thing it will be quicker to set up hair in a movie production, but in a game environment I don't see it happening soon.

Attached Images
# 40 11-02-2012 , 12:25 PM
In Production its still zbrush mate believe me as far as sculpting is concerned...its strides ahead so to say focus on that as its core strength is moot as thats what they are already doing. As I said previously Mudbox textures are brilliant, 32bit in and out. Whereas Zbrush has issues getting 32 bit images to import.

I believe Zbrush 5 will be 64bit so they are catching up....but I dont think they are concerned really otherwise it would have been delt with already. The HD mesh is awsome so if you want more polys then thats the way to go, and also dynmesh...so cool...the mesh rebuild system it uses is super fast.

Layers...I see where you are at but the strength of those sliders is very good especially for those that do concept art in 3d. If the client is present its just a case of dial back, forward, just right....to get the model looking exactly as required. Same with subtools.

As for crashes...Ive not had any as yet with map extractions at all or spotlight.

Fibremesh is okay, its fun...I think it needs another version to go yet before its useful generally in production or game, someone will figure it soon.

As for MARI, one word....AWSOME....add PTEX to the mix and you are laughing

J

# 41 11-02-2012 , 01:26 PM
Lifetime Member
F**k the Golf.....Im buying a friggin motorbike....more fun.

cheers bullet

P.S sorry Jay...you got too complicated in the software..you too Maston LOL. I will tell you all how to build a bridge one day.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 42 11-02-2012 , 01:27 PM
I don't think we are contradicting each other here jay user added image , What I said or try to say was that they should keep that focus on sculpting ( like they are doing with dynamesh).

With regards to the crashes, I am crashfree as long as I don't save it as a Zproject, Ztools are fine, it has something to do with memory allocation and yes Mari is very cool, it would be smarter if they lower the price to around $600, so it would get a wider adoption.

# 43 11-02-2012 , 01:47 PM
Haha Bullit... I used to be a carpenter didn't touch a computer until I was like 21...Up until then I always thought that they drew the dinosaurs on film in Jurassic park .
Come to think of it I am like the cave man version of Da Vinci LOL

# 44 11-02-2012 , 01:55 PM
Lifetime Member
Random spikes atop the head...needs a lift. Centre fringe point (hair) around 25mm back. The test colour scheme look good man...I dig the orange shoulder plate....nice colour. Nice model mate...I like him.....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 45 11-02-2012 , 02:07 PM
Hey Bullit yes the hair was more a test, since I am doing a modeling for games course of 8 weeks at CG talk I will go for Alpha hair.
The colorscheme is basically a rough paint in I did in PS where I sampled the colors of the original conceptart..it's also an older wip image...I am -much- further at this point, but thanks nonetheless