Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 18-12-2005 , 07:07 AM

My first model in maya

I'm Mark and been using maya for 3 weeks now (Noobie user added image) and created my first model that is sort of the ordinance lifter of Star wars, I don't know how to skin it and bump it, to become real: Worked out, dirty and scratched metal. Any suggestions?

Anyone knows a good school to learn 3d modelling in London?

thanks

Attached Thumbnails

May the force be with you

MSN: markjborg@hotmail.com

My Official Portfolio

Mark Julian Borg

Last edited by Masteryoda; 18-12-2005 at 03:54 PM.
# 2 19-12-2005 , 01:09 PM
Yeah, a couple of things, and the crits arent on the model itself, but on your lighting, as it is way too dark.
DO you know how to clay render(and if you have only been using maya for 3 wks I really doubt it).

What you do is you create a plane about twice the size of the model, and you assign it a material "lambert" with incandescence turned all the way up. YOu assign your entire model to Lambert 1, and then you open up render globals.

From there you change the renderer from maya software to Mental Ray. Then you go to Final Gather, and you turn it on and set the rays between 150 - 750. THe more rays, the longer it takes to render. Now, go to the common section and you go al the way to the bottom, and you uncheck use default lights.

Then you render. If it still is too dark, then you make the plane larger. The larger the plane, ,the more light is shown. I hope that helped, and if you already knew this I am verry sorry. But anyway.
Keep up the good work,

cYa LatEr,
MaTt user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 3 19-12-2005 , 02:13 PM
Subscriber
Or, to make things much simpler, download GI Joe. I don't have the link, but I'm sure it isn't hard to find, and it makes clay rendering easy.

# 4 26-12-2005 , 10:09 AM
sorry took too long to reply, I got a tiny problem here, in my maya, i'm using 6.5 i dont have mental ray in the dropdown menu. I only got maya hardware and maya software.

My Official Portfolio

Mark Julian Borg
# 5 26-12-2005 , 10:41 AM
Subscriber
go to windows/ preferences/plugins then select autoload the mental ray plugin

# 6 05-01-2006 , 04:57 AM

Clay Render..?

Um, this isn't my thread but I just wanted to say to, MattTheMan, thank you for the tip about Clay Rendering. I've been fiddling around with Maya for a little longer then 3 weeks and this is the first reference I've read on any of the forums I follow.

I guess it's just one of those things that those in the know, know and simply use thus it doesn't get discussed very often.

Regardless of why I've missed such a useful render trick for showing off models, I once again thank you. I'll have to try it this weekends when I'm continuing my Maya studies (This jump from 2D arts to 3D arts is harder then I suspected).

DCB

P.S. I was to distracted by learning to mention that I like the model of the mech. Neato!

Last edited by dcb_Creative; 05-01-2006 at 05:02 AM.
# 7 12-01-2006 , 04:50 AM
after looking at alot of this site's maya artwork. im amazed! i cant do anything close to this kind of stuff!

# 8 12-01-2006 , 04:15 PM

i'm still a beginnner here :) 5 weeks now in maya.

user added image always trying to learn, havent got mental ray user added image but trying to arange the model. Can't skin yet very well. How can i render very sharply done models, not like a bit blury.

what do you think about the britness?

Attached Thumbnails

My Official Portfolio

Mark Julian Borg