Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 25-06-2007 , 09:52 AM

Strange Proxy Subdiv problem

I have a geometry which has some sort of corruption in it. It's a clean, all quad polygon piece with a subdiv proxy attached. When I apply a smooth node to the master geometry to use the sculpt on geometry tool, the proxy instantly shatters in to a collection of detached, spread out quads loosely forming the shape of the original.

Also, if I am working on the original geometry, just moving vertices, the proxy responds normally. However, if I start using the split polygon tool (temporarily creating 3 or n-sided polys) or insert edge loop tool, the proxy will open holes in itself around the corresponding areas.

The one other geometry in the scene is fine -- the proxy for that one behaves normally. Just this one, main geometry has these problems. I have deleted history and all that but it doesn't help and I don't know what to do.

Anyone know how I can get rid of the corruption in this geometry?

Thanks for reading, Tristan

# 2 25-06-2007 , 10:31 PM

New Wrinkle...

OK, it seems that if I create another, clean poly and then Mesh --> Combine it with the troubled one, then this new geometry works fine. Proxy for it behaves as it should. If I then, separate these again, the old geometry has the same subdiv anomolous problems described at the start of the thread.

Anybody know what's going on?

# 3 21-07-2007 , 02:14 PM
When you create a proxy, it puts the smooth and unsmooth version on top of each other. Maybe thats what you're seeing.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 4 21-07-2007 , 02:34 PM
Could be.... I found that to fix the problem, all I need to do is reassign the shader to the proxy and it works normaly again. Quick solutions are the best.

Thanks everyone.

Tristan