Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 14-12-2007 , 09:06 PM

Stratocaster

Hi this is my first post on this forum. This is a Fender Stratocaster I'm making. It's a combination of subds and polys.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 2 14-12-2007 , 11:24 PM
Looking nice so far. nothing to crit yet. Im curious to see how you handle the neck/frets as those always gave me the most trouble when doing a guitar.

# 3 15-12-2007 , 12:41 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Looking very good!

You gotta love Sub-Ds :bow: I see your making the most of the Crease features they offer. Though they are quick and Uber effective.... they can really dense up a mesh FAST!!! And also really pull on the memory. You could achieve these creases by simple Beveling your edges in Polygon mode.

But who cares!!!

Nice work so far user added image

@twisteddragon33, What do you find hard about modeling Frets?

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 4 15-12-2007 , 01:22 AM
i agree with mayaniac. Its easier to do the "creasing" with polys by making your mesh closer there. Switching between subd and poly on the fly will show you how well your mesh converts.

My normal protocol is to model in all polygons and try and make it look how i want it to in subd. As polygons are much easier to control than a subd mesh(and much less stressful for the pc)

# 5 15-12-2007 , 07:51 AM
I now know why you have trouble making the guitar neck. It took me some time too before getting the right shape that I wanted. As for the use of Sub-Ds, I'm a lazy modeler. :blush: Sub-Ds let me get a smooth shape without doing too much work. Anyways, I got some more done. I'm still missing some stuff like the whammy bar, input jack for the cord, the knobs to hold the shoulder strap. Then I'll have to texture the volume and tone lettering on the dials and the finger dots on the neck. Btw, if anyone can point me to a good chrome material tutorial, it'd be nice.

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 6 15-12-2007 , 08:19 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
ARGH!!! I hate imageshack... The images take ages to load :headbang:

As for the model... It's looking really good! Nice work!

Heres a Quick Images to show you how to create a quick and easy Chrome texture. This isn't the best of Chromes but it's a good start, until you find something better.

Have fun user added image

Attached Thumbnails

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 7 16-12-2007 , 03:36 AM
Thanks for the help Mayaniac. I gave a sunburst color. I reconverted everything back to polygons. The guitar is around 50 000 faces. I guess I'm pretty muck done with the modeling and texturing of the strat unless you guys want to point out something for me to improve. I'll start on making some renders now.

user added image

Edit

Here are some more renders using my five minute guitar stand.
user added image
user added image
user added image

Last edited by danyp127; 16-12-2007 at 07:29 AM.
# 8 15-03-2008 , 05:09 PM
Somehow the first fret seems too long. I play Bass-Guitar, but I don't remember my Bandmates 1st frets being so long ^^.

Otherwise it's very nice...I like the main bodys texture.

Kudos
Mike