Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 04-03-2003 , 10:55 AM

What do you expect from a good texture?

Hey guys!
I'm doing a study about Textures and Material Issues. I would be very pleased if you could post the things you expect from a good texture. I'm not a commercial guy, just a student at sae institute!

Here are a couple of questions I have to cover:

1. Do you make most of your textures on your own
or do you download them somewhere?

2. Where Do you go to download your textures.

3. Which programs do you use to create your textures?

4. Would you share your textures with others?

5. What do you expect from a texture/material to be usable
for your projects?

6. How important is texturing besides modelling to you?

7. Which sites about textures and materials do you know?

Thanks

Phil user added image

# 2 04-03-2003 , 11:44 AM
1. I do most of them on my own but I may use some textures from the net as source.

2. https://www.morguefile.com is one place to get free textures.

3. Maya & Photoshop

4. Maybe

5. Good enough resolution for the project (depends on how close shot you're going to render). From digital photos or scanned material I expect them to be clean, evenly lit, no shadows, no highlights and no bad lens distortion (can be fixed up to some point).

6. I am learning it all the time and the better I get at it the more important it becomes.

7. Don't have my bookmarks handy right now :/

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 04-03-2003 , 11:43 PM
Subscriber
A: Make my own mostly for the exception of sky images. Download shaders for special effects.
https://www.denfo.grc.ru/index.asp for shaders. I get background skies from all over the place.
Maya, Photoshop, Microsoft Paint.
Depends.
for your projects?
Repeating if neccesary, good enough resolution depending on how close you will get to the image during animation like Kbrown, and basically everything else he said.
Texturing is only important to me if my model is going to be animated or a still is going to be taken of it for my portfolio. Since a plan to be more of a character designer and 3D artist for the video game industry, I really don't have to worry about texturing things.
https://www.denfo.grc.ru/index.asp www.zoorender.com

# 4 04-03-2003 , 11:59 PM

Re: What do you expect from a good texture?

I almost always make my own. I'll usually go out with my digital camera and photograph the textures I need, or I'll just paint from scratch.

I usually go to photo texture websites to download textures if I can't make my own. There are a ton out there, but so far, I've been happy with morguefile.com and the free textures from Newtek.

Photoshop.

Unlikely that I would give them out, because everything is very specific to my models. Also, most of the time, I can't give out my textures because I don't hold the copyright on them (I do game development).

for your projects?

Pretty much what kbrown and Darkware have said. Appropriate resolution, high quality.

For games, good textures are extremely important. Often times, you have to use low to medium polygon counts on models and then make up all the details in the textures. The model by itself may not look like much, but once you get some nice textures on there, they could look incredibly good.

Nothing that hasn't already mentioned. I tend to spend more time looking at photography and painting books if I need information on materials.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job