Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 18-04-2003 , 01:32 AM
Subscriber

Is 2048 the max size ?

I cant get anything above a 2048 sized texture map. Sorry but that isn't enufe I don't think. So I have to use multiple UV sets right ?

# 2 18-04-2003 , 01:35 AM
Pony man you want to go bigger than that? Most usally go 1020 as the highest...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 18-04-2003 , 01:54 AM
Subscriber
well lusifer is just one big poly mesh now.. and for the lingth of his tail, and wings. I was thinking 2048 wouldn't be enufe.. but so its supoto be ? I'v seen some models in other places and the texutres are out of this world, so I had thought they were very high res..

I was thinking about a render on the order of 1600 buy 1200, if I have him standing filling 2/3's of that thats 900 but thin to streach the map so nothing streeks thats about 40% more in his hight.. so thats rufly 1300 right there.. so yeah I could get his body in a 2048 square but what about the wings and tail ?
even if I go for a 1 to 1 pixle, I still would rather stay away from boxyness if some part of him is close to the camara..

right ??

haven't textured befor so I don't know.. maybe my asumptions are off..

# 4 18-04-2003 , 11:55 AM
Maya's sliders do stop at 2048 (for example when exporting uv snapshot) but it doesn't mean it's the max size. You could make a bigger image in photoshop for example and import it as file texture as usual. Bare in mind that you may encounter some rendering trouble with lots of hi-res textures. Rendering from command line can help here though...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 5 18-04-2003 , 09:54 PM
Subscriber
Oh cool. Thanks kbrown. do you know what or if there is a top limit to the size of the texture ? just wondering..
rendering troubles with the hi-res ? like ram probs ? just wandering if you could give some examples of what to expect..

# 6 18-04-2003 , 10:27 PM
I don't know if there is a top limit ro the size of the texture. But here's something from the docs:

Case 2: Sometimes the memory estimation is wrong and your rendering job can't finish. If you see something like:

Error: Free memory is low. Memory exception thrown

you can try to force the tile sizes to be smaller so the rendering job fits into memory.

Question

How do you force the tile sizes?

Answer

From the command shell use the flags -tw and -th. The valid value range is between 16 and 256.

More on this in the docs under the Rendering utilities section...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!