Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 24-08-2003 , 06:42 PM
Subscriber

Fur on Polys?

Im having a hard time puting Fur On my polygon Model, if any one can shine some light on the matter I'd be gratefuluser added image

# 2 24-08-2003 , 07:22 PM
same here, i cant figure it out

# 3 24-08-2003 , 07:50 PM
Subscriber
Fur on an object is determined by the uv layout if I remember correctly. All UV's must be in the zero to one range.

# 4 24-08-2003 , 08:32 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Darkware
Fur on an object is determined by the uv layout if I remember correctly. All UV's must be in the zero to one range.

That would make a lot of Sense if I knew what the heck your were talking bout LoLuser added image ,, at this point Ill have to redo it in nerbs cause I still suck at thisuser added image

# 5 24-08-2003 , 09:21 PM
Subscriber
If you open the UV editor in one of your views, then select an object, you should be able to see where all the UV's are. UV's, as I'm sure you already know, determine where the texture is on an object. In the UV Editor, you will see a square. This is sort of the "main square" I guess you could say. This is the zero to one range. All of your UV's must be inside this little box in order for your fur to appear on your object.

To get these UV's inside of the box, you either select faces on your object and choose EditPolygons>Texture>and choose a mapping layout here, or you simply right-click, choose UV's, select the UV's you want to move, then move them with the move tool.

Mapping out UV's can be difficult the first time around. I would recommend searching for some tutorials.

# 6 24-08-2003 , 09:46 PM
Subscriber
RIGHT ON BRO!!!((THANKS!!))user added image you just saved me some work.. LoL..

# 7 24-08-2003 , 11:46 PM
Ahhhhh I didnt realise it was based on Uv's either.... makes more sense now.... user added image

R-Tillery: you can also paint fur attributes or use greyscale images to control baldness/length etc. But you have to still layout the UVs though user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 8 24-08-2003 , 11:58 PM
Subscriber
Also, another way to get bald spots is to take the uv's and move them out of the zero to one range. This may create some distortion in the texture, but should be seemless if you do it right. Note that you must relay the uv's or somehow disconnect them from the rest of the uv mesh in order to move them and achieve the desired effect.

Although I have never dealt with the paint fur attributes stuff, it sounds easier than what I just explained. user added image

# 9 25-08-2003 , 12:08 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Darkware
Also, another way to get bald spots is to take the uv's and move them out of the zero to one range. This may create some distortion in the texture, but should be seemless if you do it right. Note that you must relay the uv's or somehow disconnect them from the rest of the uv mesh in order to move them and achieve the desired effect.

Although I have never dealt with the paint fur attributes stuff, it sounds easier than what I just explained. user added image

Ok CooL,,, I did a furbie the same way to put a face panel on so fur wouldnt come out.. things are starting to click.. Thanks

# 10 28-08-2003 , 06:17 AM
R-Tillery,
can you show what you have made? i'm curious about it.
i just bought a book of maya and now i'm starting to see if i get the hang of it user added image

# 11 28-08-2003 , 01:46 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by GreenGoblin
R-Tillery,
can you show what you have made? i'm curious about it.
i just bought a book of maya and now i'm starting to see if i get the hang of it user added image

Heres a link to my
Work In Progress user added image

# 12 29-08-2003 , 05:34 AM
i think it's getting there... right...
it's a big fat mouse... *lol*
wel i'm still reading and haven't got a practical lesson yet...
i can't hardly wait but i know i have to be patient..

# 13 29-08-2003 , 02:32 PM
Subscriber
He he, yea his names is Clony (The Mouse) he won't be done for the Challenge of the month, but It gives me Practices to learn things toouser added image but as soon as I can get this fur thing going, it will rock!!user added image