Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 30-04-2012 , 11:48 PM
SM Tea Boy

Free Friday Tutorial #12 Easy Depth of Field in Maya (DOF)

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 2 01-05-2012 , 01:18 AM
EduSciVis-er
Friday already! That was a quick week.
Great little tut. Very cool. I wonder about creating two stacked planes to simulate the actual width "in focus" region (DOF), but I guess that could get tricky because that also depends on cam distance from object.

# 3 01-05-2012 , 01:29 AM
Lifetime Member
This looks interesting David....will have a go later on.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 01-05-2012 , 01:45 AM
SM Tea Boy

Friday already! That was a quick week.
Great little tut. Very cool. I wonder about creating two stacked planes to simulate the actual width "in focus" region (DOF), but I guess that could get tricky because that also depends on cam distance from object.

Here is a scene file that will do about that with physical_lens_dof in MR

Same setup as before but with 2 planes the closer they get together the shallower the depth of field. Second plane controls in focus region first one focus depth.

Just took two small expressions and it's far from perfect, just a quick 2 mins to see if it was in any way feasible. If you want to play with it and fix the parenting and what not please do.

But here it is if you want to take a look at a version that will work with MR

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 01-05-2012 , 01:50 AM
SM Tea Boy

# 6 01-05-2012 , 11:21 AM
The thin red line
Nice little tut thanks Dave..................dave

# 7 04-08-2012 , 10:03 PM
Subscriber

depth of field

thanks Dave, great tutorial!

# 8 26-02-2013 , 07:10 AM

focus distance issue

When I drag and drop the distance icon intot eh focus distance slot, the focus changes automotically to one, not to the distance between the two distance points(which is ten units)...

www.starwars.com
# 9 12-03-2013 , 02:14 PM
This is so much more simple in cinema 4d user added image
But that was a nice tutorial user added image

# 10 12-03-2013 , 02:19 PM
SM Tea Boy
simple != good

# 11 12-03-2013 , 05:09 PM
Technical Director

simple != good

Now, now, be nice user added image

He can use a piece of software that isn't very popular in visual effects and animation if he so chooses user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 12 11-04-2013 , 03:16 AM
On the flip side it is much better to have the depth pass and use Frischluft...

# 13 11-04-2013 , 07:36 AM
SM Tea Boy

On the flip side it is much better to have the depth pass and use Frischluft...

it's faster and it's always good to have a depth pass user added image but it's not better, real 3d dof is pretty much always going to look better than something done in post.

That said if it's more than a few frames i almost always fake it, real 3d dof is bloody slow!
Dave user added image