Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 06-03-2004 , 05:26 AM
Subscriber

depressed

Hey guys,

I've been surfing on the CGTALKS site and viewing some of the threads made me kinda depressed, they were mostly about how In CG you make no money and get thrown around from company to company and never have a steady job which is kinda depressing, I love CG ALOT!! I currently am only a shipper reciever for my dads company and I have a pretty nice car for my age and make decent pay but hate the work with a passion and I love CG with a passion that is why I'm depressed. I posted hoping that maybe someone could cheer me up a bit.

I just don't want to go through all of this training and not really get anything out of it, Know what I mean

Thanks for letting me rant a bit

Brennan Clarkson

# 2 06-03-2004 , 08:52 AM
Subscriber
CG isn't like makeing wigets at some factroy, thats why you hear some people complaining. But its also what makes CG so fun. In CG there is always a project to be worked on, when thats over sometimes you do get moved around a little. True. But if your prepared its manigable. There is always a new advinture around the corner. Its not like other industrys though were its the same thing year in year out all the time.

Its a true thing that CG is unstable, but thease days what isn't ? I wish your dad's company the best, and maybe its difrent but most companys are not totaly stable anyway.

I think people can find things to complain about in any industry.

Is CG unstable, yes. But intresting.
Is factory work stable, mostly. But its boring.
Do you make money starting out in CG, maybe not. But pay increses faster.
Do you make money starting out at a factory. Good money. But very very little room to increase it.

I'm wandering what kind of training?

# 3 06-03-2004 , 05:26 PM
Subscriber
Well at first I was going to learn maya on my own but now I'm thinking differently it seems that you need a degree to make it out there, I'm currently taking part time animation courses and life drawing courses,

I'm just a little worried is all

# 4 06-03-2004 , 07:32 PM
Subscriber
Well the way I see it is, you don’t go to them you make them come to you, your Dad has the right Idea about having his own business, Life is a full time job in it self and worrying about will I be good enough to cut it in the CG bizz, build up your portfolio, get some creditability and start your own company. Many people will try to shut you down saying you can’t do that and those are the people that are working for some one else. So If you got the ambition to do something don’t stop,,, stay focused ,, the only one that can stop you is your self. :tup:

# 5 06-03-2004 , 10:46 PM
Learn Drafting/CAD and design automobiles. user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 6 07-03-2004 , 12:52 AM
Subscriber
I'm a little depressed too I think. I'm not the least bit motivated to make anything in 3D. I have a nice portfolio on my website which is more than enough to get me into the college I want to go to, so I don't really see any need to improve it. The thing I'm really worried about is how much infasis companies hiring 3D modelers put on the ability to draw. Right now, I really stink at conceptual art and can't really see myself improving much at all. I have always had a difficult time coming up with creative ideas for new models and whatnot and that sort of scares me... :\

What I can and really enjoy doing is taking excellent conceptual drawings done by other people and turning them into 3D models. The only problem is that I can't find any excellent drawings anywhere and that most of the good ones have a crappy design to them. I like making robots and the like.....

Here is one of Dolmuji's pieces that I found on CGTalk. This is the quality I want in a sketch, but most sketches don't come near to having this fine of detail. :\

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 07-03-2004 , 02:17 AM
Subscriber
Dude you Rock and you should always do things that make you happy, 8 out of 10 people will always judge your work as crap, those are the ones you can count on to tare you up and spit you out, so you can listen to them as they build them self’s up by chopping you down or you can Do what you want to do because you know you can do what ever you want.
Life is a jerry Springer Show with the channel set to miserable. Don’t do any thing for any one but your self, if you do, you set your self up to fail. user added imageirate: R,R,r,r!! <--hehe pirate talk

# 8 07-03-2004 , 02:47 AM
Subscriber
That model is amazing that is all I have to say, I have a decent background in traditional art

5years in highschool (Including Art History for 2)
Currently doing a Animation and Life drawing along with Anatomy for animation courses at sheridan college in Ontario Canada

So I have a decent background but now I need to learn the program and technical aspects, I don't think I need to go to college to get a degree in 3d if I have the fundementals of art down, I bought the organics DVD today so I'm looking forward to that and hopefully it will swing me into doing some awsome cg work

I sooo hope I can make models with that much detail once I learn maya.

# 9 07-03-2004 , 02:49 AM
Subscriber
Oh one more thing

After my figure drawing courses I will have certificates in both Animation and Fine Arts but no degree, I might also take a certification course on maya at Seneca College

# 10 07-03-2004 , 02:50 AM
Subscriber
some thoughts for you about school. the animation is good, It will give you some ideas. The life drawing is great.
That aside.

In a informal pole on the cg site you mentioned only 10% of the pro's in the field had any sort of formal training in the field.

I'm in the same boat as you in lots of ways. I'v done a lot of serching hear, there and everywhare for ansers. They are out there. I would sugest you keep looking and informing your self also.

A basic distilation of what I have found:

Do companys care about rather or not you have a degree in CG? mostly NO. Companys don't care becosue it dosn't mean anything to what they are looking for. It sure isn't a garinty of skill. only your demoReal will show that. It does show a little bonuse that you can meat some kind of deadlines. But they would rather have more evidence than a one year deadline to get your thisis demo real done.

They do want to see a killer demo real. Make sure you don't suck.
They want to see that you can repeat what you did. ei 3 good models or difrent types of animation is a good way to show that.
They also want refrances. If you dont' have expirance, your best bet is, great referals. In other words you need good networking skills and you need to be known in the comunity. The best way to get that is through the on line comunity.

Many of the studio owners that have made post about this. Or the artdirecters in charege of highering people. Most of them have made post to the opinion that the schools are pumping out kids with the abiltiy to push a button, but lack tallent in one form or another. They know they can train anyone what button to press. But they are not going to take the time to train tallent !

In short:
Tallent,
Deadlines(ei reputation)

You don't have to take my word for it though. The pro's are online and they do post. Look for what they have said.

# 11 07-03-2004 , 02:54 AM
Subscriber
There was post maid while I was writing my long winded one.. LOL forgive me.

BTW they do apriceat FineArt education more than CG school degree's

Thoughs are bonuses.

# 12 07-03-2004 , 06:02 AM
Subscriber
Hey thanks pony that makes me feel better since I am getting fine arts background now while learning software, puts things in perspective

# 13 07-03-2004 , 05:30 PM
I too am taking the traditional route through university. I decided on Illustration over Fine Art as i think Illustration suites me, and the industery more, as Fine Art tends be more personal based work, with alot of airy fairy stuff that dosent suit me that much.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 14 07-03-2004 , 09:46 PM
I went to the Bornmouth University open day and I got the impression that many of the major companies still only tend to accept people who have gone through the traditional route, allthough technical skill is essential, i guess you could be a master at maya, but without being able to come up with ideas is a big problem.

When 3d is your job or any art is your job, I would think it would be easier to come up with ideas because you have the time to do so.

Darkware, know how you feel, im good at art now i guess but conceptual art is very hard, drawing from the mind rather from an object in reality is very hard for me, for me to get any idea on paper into 3d I have to sit there for an hour thinking of how to do each bit.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 15 07-03-2004 , 11:36 PM
Subscriber
you know what though school isn't going to teach you to draw from memory all school gives you is a foundation, you have to do it yourself from then on, I give myself another year of traditional work and I should be able to easily come up with things in my head then put them on paper and hopefully put into 3D