Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 06-08-2006 , 11:58 PM

BUMP MAPS!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I know that in bump mapping, you take a greyscale .psd file where dark= less deviation from original form and light= more deviation from original form. I have no trouble with making a bump map, but my real problem is appying it. Now, please excuse me here, but out of sheer frustration I've gotta ask: HOW THE F*** DO I ATTACH IT? I'm sure this is a very newbie question, coz I'v been searching for ever and I can't find a tutorial that explains this in detail- I can't evn find one that explains it at all. So either google hate me, or this is a really nooby topic. Please explain how I do this!:shakehead

o and btw, I also need to know how to access/edit the skin map type thing ( i don't know what to call it) it is like the whole face valu of your model torn into peices and put up for display on a 2d plane. You can use it to apply paint effects and stuff....

# 2 07-08-2006 , 12:07 AM
The answer to the first question:

Open the Hypershader (Window>Rendering Editors>Hypershade), then create a new color (phong, blinn, lambert, whatever), then in the material attributes editor click on the checker box next to color. Choose File and then browse for your file. Then here is a small trick: Open the shader, click on the new color and choose graph network. Then delete the connection from the file to the color. Then click on the color, middle mouse button click the file and drag then let go over the final color. A menu will pop up asking how you want to connect it, choose connect to bump map. And toodaaa, there you have it, your file on a map.

I have a tutorial written to explain all that, im trying to get it posted but its so big i cant post it.

As for your second question: That is the UV texture editor (Window> UV texture editor). This is probably one of the hardest parts of Maya to me, so I cant explain it really well. But you need to unwrap your model and then you can export out an image from the UV texture editor, paint it, and return it back to the model.

# 3 07-08-2006 , 12:19 AM
Thanks so much, I've been searching for that forever... shoul'dve thought of the forums.... however, I'm not sure what you mean here:

Open the shader, click on the new color and choose graph network. Then delete the connection from the file to the color.

I'm sorry, I know virtually nothing of maya, and so you'll have to clarify: is the shader the material I've created, or what?

# 4 07-08-2006 , 12:20 AM
you dont have to have a psd file. preferably its targa or tiff, but jpg and psd works

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 5 07-08-2006 , 12:23 AM
oh, ok... still, I need to know how to get the file on first....

# 6 07-08-2006 , 03:34 AM
Okay, here will be a quick simple tutorial...
[list=1][*]Open Hypershade Window[*]Create a new Lambert[*]Go to the attribute editor (ctrl-a)[*]To the right of Color is a checker box click on it[*]Select File[*]Browse and find your file[*]Now reopen the Hypershade window (your file will be on the Lambert Material)[*]Right click on the material and select Graph Network[*]In the work area you will see the your file with a line connecting it to the final material[*]Click on that "connection" and delete it[*]Middle mouse button click on your file and drag it on top of the final material[*]An option box will appear, click on Bump Map[*]Now your file is on the material[*]Create your object in the scene[*]Select your object[*]Open the Hypershade window, right click your material and select "Apply Material to Selection"[*]Render it[*]Toodaaaaaaaa![/list=1]

I hope that helps...hopefully my layered texture tutorial will be available soon.

Last edited by esion; 07-08-2006 at 03:36 AM.
# 7 07-08-2006 , 03:36 AM
Your final graphed network (work area) should look like this...

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 07-08-2006 , 03:38 AM
And here was what my render looked like:

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 07-08-2006 , 02:48 PM
Yesssssss! Thank you so much:bow: :bow: I am new on this forum, but on others that I been registered to, few would have posted up a tutorial just for me, even a mini one. Thanks so much!

# 10 07-08-2006 , 02:59 PM
You are welcome sir...