Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 09-02-2009 , 09:56 PM
Lifetime Member
Agreed, bootcamp it is...If I can figure out how to do a flavour of Linux I'll run that as well (or instead, as at least nVIDIA release drivers for Linux!). I'm going to pick up another SATA drive and install XP on it to run Maya. The rest of the stuff I'll use OS X.

I've gone through every forum regarding tearing and OS X, most are games based...:headbang: It seems it's most likely the drivers. The one thing that gets me is how many people assume it's gonna work just because it's OS X, and most of them don't even know what a driver is?!?! Apple has lost the 'Pro' market, well and good!

-J

Poly-pushing on a '96 SGI O2
# 17 10-02-2009 , 08:18 AM
You are running a brew of linux, its called OSX.

What gets me is how people think that just because they are getting an Apple "branded" product that its going to be better quality, and as you say work out of the box, but thats the marketing for you.

So much for it all working nicely together as a package,
now you've got to go and install Windows on a Mac to get programmes working, Microsoft must be having a chuckle to themselves, getting into a market that they NEVER would have done.

Very poor on apples part this, especially on a Mac Pro.

Hoping that theres a solution that will just let you use it with the OS you bought with the PC

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 18 10-02-2009 , 01:35 PM
Lifetime Member
There's a side of me that loves it when something doesn't work out the box! user added image

I think OS X is becoming less and less *nix like with every release. There is so much moaning going on about the lack of implementation of X11 on several forums. All lip-service I say from Apple!

I'm going to try OS X + Fedora, as at least Fedora is 'blessed' by AutoDesk.

Don't get me wrong, it does work out of the box, but only up to using consumer level apps + most of Adobe stuff. Anything else, kiss your toes and hope for the best! It's 95% Apple's fault as they try and keep everything sooo close to their chests. Too bad!
Imagine what some of the hacintosh guys would have done by now if the drivers for the video cards have been released!!! OS X on Speed!!

-J

Poly-pushing on a '96 SGI O2
# 19 10-02-2009 , 07:51 PM
Sounds bad that its so so touch and go with anything thats for proper work, and for the premium that it costs. Apple will never release anything that means they might loose even a bit of control.

Ohh well, you pays your money and takes ya chance.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle