Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 22-06-2010 , 01:49 AM

Need help making a Doctor Who title sequence

Hello all user added image

I've been using Maya for nearly two years, I know how to model, texture animate fairly well but would like to know more about using effects. I've modelled, textured and animated a Tardis and originally created a 2D Time Vortex in Adobe After Effects. However, it's pretty much impossible for me to achieve a good 3D one as seen in the real introductions.

Does anyone know how I would create the awesome time vortex in the intro videos? Even better are there any tutorials that can help me learn to do it?

Thanks

James.

# 2 22-06-2010 , 01:04 PM
Lifetime Member
Try some Gnomon dude, they have some of that stuff, I saw today on the net. I dont know if there are any in here??? Any other members seen this type of tut in SM??

cheers bullet

Edit: there a a few effects tuts in the index mate, check the archive as well

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 22-06-2010 , 05:55 PM
The thin red line
I seen cone shapes used to make tornados just turn it on its side and look inside, look for tutorials for tornados............dave

# 4 22-06-2010 , 07:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. I heard something about creating the path of the vortex out of a cylinder, then applying the effects onto that. I will check Gnomon though and I'll also check out stuff about Tornados, thanks!

# 5 22-06-2010 , 08:32 PM
Not seen the new title sequence, but going off the David Tennant one you could extrude a pipe down a curve and then add some animated layered textures with various incandesance propertied to it, along with transparancies and lights that would proabably be a good starting point.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle