Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 18-02-2011 , 09:22 PM

imported dwg not visible.

Newbie here. I imported a simple triangular line shape from AutoCad. The outliner shows the object existing but it not visible in Maya. I suspect ist's just something I have to switch on.

I do a lot of work in AC and Sketchup, and I like to sort out all the import idiosyncrasies.

# 2 18-02-2011 , 09:28 PM
if it's in the outliner then it's probably there but you just can't see it, select it on the outliner and in the perspective view press f to frame the selection, it should appear

the reason why you're not seeing it is maybe when you imported it from another software, the object's coordinates were not 0,0,0 so it wasn't on the center of the grid in maya

Last edited by hamidz90; 18-02-2011 at 09:30 PM.
# 3 18-02-2011 , 09:43 PM
Thanks, that was it. I thought as much, or that the scale was to big or way to small.

Now that I can see it and select it, how do I turn the closed path to an object I can extrude?

# 4 18-02-2011 , 09:53 PM
select your path, and make sure your on the surface menu and not on polygon one, click on the surface tab on top and chose planar, click on the option box next to it and a window should pop up, use the followign setting:

Degree: Linear
Curve Range: complete
Output Geometry: Polygon
Attach multiple output meshes and Match render tessellation: leave those 2 options unchecked
Type: Quads
Tessellation Method: standard fit
and leave every setting below to their default.

you should get a polygon mesh that can be extruded

# 5 18-02-2011 , 10:31 PM
Thanks. This obviously is a great start for me. However, the result is disappointing and it's obviously because I don't know what I'm doing. I'm sure it has to do with the number of subdivisions and increasing them at some point in the procedure.

I should probably give you a little info on what I'm doing. In my Maya class the process to create and extrude this shape was extremely tedious and time consuming. I know I can produce the shape in minutes in AC, or Corel, and a complete 3D importable object in Sketchup. I thought building externally and importing into Maya would be the way to go. Unfortunately the smoothness of the arcs is lost converting the AC line shape into an extrude-able surface. My Sketchup imports have been quite good. But arcs are so much better in AC and Corel.

# 6 18-02-2011 , 10:34 PM

# 7 18-02-2011 , 10:49 PM
Thanks. I find I am getting more from online help the the expensive class I'm taking.

Anyway, attached is the simple project. The shape of the Noguchi tabletop glass. The blue line. And the result in converting to a surface and extruding. What is lost in this method is the smoothness of the arcs. I'm sure at some point I'll figure out how to achieve this in Maya.

thanks again for your help.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 19-02-2011 , 12:27 AM
Lifetime Member
HI mate, I use CAD in 4 different packs..mostly a Surveying one but I use ACAD to do things after or before at work so I have LOTS of hours of pain up my sleeve in data transfer. First up Hamidz is correct...the scale and co-ordinates will not be on the origin..using real world (ie map grid) co-ords for me to Maya is painful and it took me a while to figure out the 'f' key LOL...so yes to the outliner, select then frame it.

As Hamidz pointed out...the extrusion can also be left in NURBS and you could convert later to maintain smoothness...or increase/decrease your subdivision on extrude on poly. You also HAVE to be careful HOW you have created the CV's in NURBS. For instance try and maintain a 3 point arc or more when creating a curve...so where the straight ends (tangent point) ALWAYS create an IP (intersection point) before the next tangent...this WILL affect the objects geo if you dont. For a standard curve I will have 2 tangents and 2 or 3 points on the arc (depending on the arc length of course). Maya isnt an engineering program so you have to help it in some cases.

Depending on what version of Maya you have...highlight the object and then press the 3 key on the num pad...this is the smooth preview...then press 1 to return to unsmoothed. You will also find IF you havent placed CV's opposite each other (like parallel arcs) then when you extrude you will end up with edges all over the place. Try and keep the CV's opposite and always err on the side of 'more is better' as you can always delete un needed lines and points. I dont always go with quads...they do some funky things...some objects it is fine...other times I use 'control points' to keep the integrity of the geo...its all about experimenting and having fun!

I hope I havent confused you LOL

Have fun

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 9 19-02-2011 , 12:40 AM
Lifetime Member
here is a quick example...sorry at work so it was rushed, depending on the geo you may use a different one each time.

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes