Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 03-05-2016 , 12:58 PM

Help with semitransparent part of Maya export

Hi,
Until this problem it was enough for me to browse threads and find a solution but after a lot of reading and much more experimenting I decided to ask for help. It seems that semitransparent parts of exported images/textures from Maya have some black tint and are not the same as semitransparent parts of images exported from other programs. That caused a lot of problems when compositing in programs such as Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects-all from Adobe. To better describe what I mean I made and attached some examples of troublesome results.
I tried a lot in Maya and in compositing software and logic so far is telling me that Maya is not exporting semitransparent parts of .png or any other format well. Even when Maya exported image with semitransparent parts are imported back in Maya it has black tint in semitransparent parts. Has anyone seen this problem?
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-05-2016 , 01:34 PM
EduSciVis-er
My guess would be due to premultiplication. Essentially in Maya, the semitransparent parts of your image are being multiplied by the color channel. You can choose to turn that off in the Maya render settings. Better yet, in after effects, for example, you can choose how to interpret the alpha channel, so you should choose premultiplied against black. It's a confusing subject, for sure, and there's lots of reading material out there, so I won't try to bumble through it much more than my simplistic explanation.

# 3 19-06-2016 , 12:44 PM

that was the problem

Thank you very much. It seems like the topic is extensive but for me immediate solution was to turn premultiply off in rendering settings. I'm a beginner and this bothered me for so long that
I've found various ways to bypass the the whole thing so I can not express how grateful I am for your reply. user added image