Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-01-2007 , 11:49 PM

video problem

Hi,

Great site. I'm a new Maya user and motion graphics student, and i have a problem with Maya and most videos, except Quicktime vids running in safe mode. i get odd color bars and distortion in my video/Maya interface windows. I had this problem in After Effects also, which was solved by disabling OpenGL assistance.

Any ideas why this is happening and how I solve it? My technical skills are weak but I'm pretty good with direction if someone can point me where to go. I have a 6600GT graphics card (with an Asus A8N SLI Delux motherboard set to single card) with the latest forceware drivers (did the same with earlier drivers + avi, wmv etc.), which I'm thinking of upgrading to the new 8800 series, but I'm not sure if my card is the problem. Any suggestions?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 13-01-2007 , 11:51 PM
oh yeah, flash videos work fine too. all other video formats though have a similar problem

# 3 16-01-2007 , 11:15 PM
anybody please. this is killing my productivity.

# 4 17-01-2007 , 03:43 AM
Sorry mate, aint a clue on that one??

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 17-01-2007 , 04:55 AM
Tubby
Try disabling/lowering the the hardware acceleration (Troubleshoot in the display properties) also try with the Enable write combining OFF.

Also re-install Direct-x may help.

# 6 17-01-2007 , 05:05 AM
Does Forceware have settings that lets the application decide the 3D settings? If it does, its best to let the app handle the the 3D settings otherwise you may get strange results. Resetting all the settings to defualt may also help (if something has been messed up).

Tubby > 'Also re-install Direct-x may help.'

I'm not completely sure on this, but I think Maya most likely uses OpenGL, not DirectX, so updating it wouldn't help.

Also make sure wether the card is overheating or not, sometimes that can caused garbled screens, though that usually happens with games.

# 7 17-01-2007 , 12:20 PM
looks like i'm going to have to shell out for a quadro or something. a 6600 MIGHT run like Maya 3 or something. thanks everybody!

# 8 17-01-2007 , 12:44 PM
Subscriber
You can run maya reasonably well even on relatively simple gfx cards. Your problem looks and sounds like some kind of conflict, hardware or drivers. Dont waste your money thinking you need an uber machine to run maya. Can you borrow a friends gfx card or salvage one from somewhere just to test on your system? Just thinking it could be a damaged gfx card possibly.