Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 30-10-2010 , 06:23 PM

Solara (Sad Speedster)

Hello there. I named the image Solara because it's the name of this planet where Space Speedster landed. I named the planet Solara because there was a character in that The Book Of Eli movie played by Mila Kunis. She and her name was beautiful.

Anyway user added image I modeled, textured and rendered the Speedster from scratch using Cinema 4D, Headus UV and Photoshop. I saw this concept here on SimplyMaya.com tutorial but I didn't followed the tutorial at all and tried to create it by my self with utilizing their concept. I draw my own concept also but I didn't liked it.

Created the environment with using Vue Infinite. Added background on Cinema with using Background and Floor objects. Matched the overall lighting. But rendered them separately and composited again in Photoshop with using Alpha Channels - to have more control on postwork. I also added that little robot from Poser to make composition more interesting. Posed and imported with Interposer Pro plugin for Cinema.

I hope you enjoy, comments and critics are welcome as always.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Miss_Nova; 05-12-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Thumbnail
# 2 30-10-2010 , 07:18 PM
The thin red line
Hi Kerem
Over all I like it, the texturing looks nice, if I had to be critical you could have textured a door panel and a little heat disortion from the engine but that it me being picky.............dave

# 3 30-10-2010 , 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
Very nice! The texture work is really sweet and it does very much look like a "about to be seriously colonized" alien planet. My crit and I could very well be nitpicking here, is that 1) despite the dirt and scratches, there are no dents or dings on the ship. 2) Shadows may be a bit too hard and I the little robot's face plate thingy being a blackhole is kinda weird. Still, job well done!

- Genny
# 4 30-10-2010 , 08:44 PM
Excellent texturing! user added image

Want to texture my Sand Speeder? user added image

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 30-10-2010 , 10:51 PM
Subscriber
Yeah, texturing looks really good. I really like the background also, those rock/cliff faces are really good.

# 6 31-10-2010 , 12:21 AM

# 7 31-10-2010 , 01:20 AM
Lifetime Member
Bloody nice mate...I agree the texturing is to die for!!! I think the robots visor is meant to just be black Gen...maybe it could have had more reflection Kerem??

LOVE the backdrop mate...reminds me of some of the Aussie desert!! Well done

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 8 31-10-2010 , 03:11 PM
@bullet1968: Thank you so much. Using Vue Infinite since it's version 4 for creating environments, its really a great tool for that.

Some shots from "work in progress" phase...

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

Sorry for the jokes above if they sound tasteless user added image

Last edited by Kerem; 31-10-2010 at 03:22 PM.
# 9 31-10-2010 , 08:15 PM
Subscriber
my eye is drawn to the little purple robot

other than that it looks really awesome!

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D