Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 31 24-04-2003 , 11:27 PM
Subscriber
Yah, i love that game! Used to spend hours making and testing maps lol. I remeber a soccer game, and god vs satan. That was my favorite.

Okay so i'm pretty sure I lost the tourny. So could you make a quick small list of things you need and i'll pick one. I think twisted got one already.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 32 25-04-2003 , 01:37 AM

Originally posted by twisteddragon33
i might be able to squeeze out a console. you need it to take up the whole right side of the screen? and will there be subdevisions of it or just the main boarder andyoull take care of the rest?

Twisted - no, the reason the background doesn't fill the whole screen in that picture is because I didn't resize it :p

The "consoles" will go top and bottom (where the blue rectangles are)

The area will be bigger, I'll upload a new screenshot in a sec.

Re: subdivisons, I haven't really planned out the layout of the areas, just know what is going inside them, so it's not really important.
I'm not really fussed, whatever you feel like doing bud

Hybrid - yeah it's such a mad game hey user added image

Ok here's a list of the things which I can think of at the moment:

*) Images for projectiles - about 3 or 4 different types (one for each weapon) - images can be transperent/translucent.

Translucency is done with an alpha-map image.

(You probably already know this but), alpha-maps are the same size as the image, but they are greyscale only.
Areas on the alpha map which are pure white are drawn, and areas which are solid black are completely transperent. Regions in-between are varying in transperency.

The alpha maps can/should be made as a seperate bitmap/image.

*) "Pickups". Health, ammo, and a "special" pickup.
These are images which float around and if the user picks them up they get whatever the pickup was...

As above, transperency is controlled with an alpha-map.

*) Weapon images - the images which will appear in the weapons console (top/bottom of screen).
This is not that important as I can just use the projectile images above if noone makes any.

*) An image to use as a mouse cursor - I'm using the standard arrow but I just figued out how to change it, so that could be cool

*) Some image/s to use for the console (see the starcraft pictures)

*) If anyone wants to make (or already has) some pictures to use as images in the menu or background - again not really important

Last edited by PappaSmurf; 25-04-2003 at 01:53 AM.
# 33 25-04-2003 , 02:44 AM
Ohh also, if anyone feels like giving me a hand with spicing up the logo I've made I'd be much appreciative.

I'm not great with colours, although I (think) I have good taste, I can never make up my mind lol :p

# 34 25-04-2003 , 03:03 AM
Subscriber
2 questions, you asked for low-poly models of the missles and things earlies, and now you want images? Which one?

#2 is did you already decide the weaps? If you did we'd kinda need to know that in order to determine the type of projectile.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
# 35 25-04-2003 , 05:08 AM

Originally posted by Vectorman
2 questions, you asked for low-poly models of the missles and things earlies, and now you want images? Which one?

#2 is did you already decide the weaps? If you did we'd kinda need to know that in order to determine the type of projectile.

Sorry for the confusion :o

I just need images for everything in the game, as there's no 3D engine (as I said earlier it's only a very simple 2D game)

In terms of the weapons, I haven't really planned them out, so anything will go :p

* missiles
* bullets
* fire/ice-ball of some description
* ball of plasma/electricity? (mabey like the "whisps" in Warcraft3)?
* slow moving mines
* wierd projectiles with stuff orbiting them

Whatever :p

EDIT: I *think* I'll be able to animate the projectiles, if you guys give me several images (ie: snapshots, just like animated gif's), then it should be doable

Last edited by PappaSmurf; 25-04-2003 at 05:19 AM.
# 36 26-04-2003 , 12:45 AM
Subscriber
Okay, sounds good. Would you rather images in TGA, or PSD format? They have built in Alpha channels, and would probably make it easier if you could support them. Other than that i support JGP if the game is getting memory hungry, although i dobt it would cause its 2d. Also i can do all of the formats that photoshop can write to (pretty much everything). If you're not sure what you're using, you probably wanna go with an uncompressed format like BMP.

I can make these have caps (notice you can see through them user added image ) But i think after i model the rest of the logo it might be nice to have them see through.

# 37 26-04-2003 , 01:44 AM
Subscriber
I just started painting some HUD (heads up display)screens. I know twisted said he would, but i haven't seen or heard from him about it since. Plus it would be better if you had 2 to choose from. Do you want it right ontop of what you got? What i mean is do you want the health bar to be in the exact place as it is in the pic? I brought the one you posted into photoshop and thats just what I started doing, because it is a good jumping point, and the space provides some nice inspiration. But i figure it couldn't be that hard to make it custom to my image.

# 38 26-04-2003 , 01:49 AM
Cool, sounds good

Bitmap is fine, it makes it easy to read into the program and since it's uncompressed also leaves options open.

But, I *can* read TGA files as well, which might make the alpha business easier..

So umm, yeah we should give TGA a go, but make sure you save it in PSD or other formats incase it doesn't work because I haven't tried it.

I've got a font which I've been using so far within the game, which I think looks ok.
I haven't looked at many fonts, this was just the best looking futuristic font which I saw on a particular site.

https://mickeyavenue.com/fonts/download/SpaceAge.zip

You guys are much better at graphics and stuff than me though so if you are onto something better thats great

Cheers
user added image

# 39 26-04-2003 , 01:52 AM

I just started painting some HUD (heads up display)screens. I know twisted said he would, but i haven't seen or heard from him about it since. Plus it would be better if you had 2 to choose from. Do you want it right ontop of what you got? What i mean is do you want the health bar to be in the exact place as it is in the pic? I brought the one you posted into photoshop and thats just what I started doing, because it is a good jumping point, and the space provides some nice inspiration. But i figure it couldn't be that hard to make it custom to my image.

Not really.
The health bar rectangle was just for my purposes (I was just making sure I could draw to the consoles, because I've defined them as seperate regions of the screen so they can be updated seperately)...

Also, I think the area for the console is a fair bit too small at the moment? It's deffinately too small at higher resolutions, so keep that in mind - I can make it whatever size you want.. as long as there's still plenty of "battle room" in the middle :p

# 40 26-04-2003 , 02:20 AM
Subscriber
Hmm, wow, when i got into doing graphics, i was under the impression that people seeking CG Arstist help knew EXACTLY what they wany. But so far its been the opposite. So much freedom. I guess I should take advantage of it, before i start getting real jobs.

So i guess i'll just make whatever and you can adapt. Thats what you get !

# 41 26-04-2003 , 02:25 AM

Hmm, wow, when i got into doing graphics, i was under the impression that people seeking CG Arstist help knew EXACTLY what they wany. But so far its been the opposite. So much freedom. I guess I should take advantage of it, before i start getting real jobs.

So i guess i'll just make whatever and you can adapt. Thats what you get !

lol, well I don't want to be too demanding of you guys :p

# 42 26-04-2003 , 02:37 AM
Ok, im seeing my image on your game prototypes. You like it? Would you like me to make you a game specific BG?

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 43 26-04-2003 , 02:41 AM

Originally posted by Ultragames
Ok, im seeing my image on your game prototypes. You like it? Would you like me to make you a game specific BG?

hehe, I hope thats ok mate user added image
As I said earlier, it's the only background anyone has posted which is high enough res. I think it looks pretty cool

Go for it user added image

# 44 26-04-2003 , 04:06 AM
Subscriber
Well, you should be as specific as it matters. I'm sure the guys will tell you what were capable of if you're instrucions are a little complex. I'd just like to get you what you wanted.

# 45 26-04-2003 , 04:29 AM
I thought I'd post these two cool screenshots of some other game as inspiration for projectile sprites :p

user added image

user added image