Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 04-12-2007 , 09:34 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

2009 Camaro

Well, this is my first WIP on these forums, and I've decided to model a 2009 Camaro. user added image

So heres where I'm at:

Just got all the profile curves built:

user added image

user added image

Well, C&C always welcome, though theres not much to go on at the moment.

Sorry for the Low-Quality Images, but i didn't want to waste the loading time on pictures of curves. user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 2 04-12-2007 , 10:23 PM
Looking Pretty good. and Nice car too. Can i ask where you got the Blues for the '09?

And theres really not enough to go on so far but how much do plan on modeling? Interior? Engine? Brake Calipers? so on.

# 3 04-12-2007 , 10:57 PM

Originally posted by twisteddragon33
Looking Pretty good. and Nice car too. Can i ask where you got the Blues for the '09?

I got them from www.SMCar.net. They have a huge area filled with blueprints. You can find them under chevrolet.

And there's really not enough to go on so far but how much do plan on modeling? Interior? Engine? Brake Calipers? so on. [/B]

I was initially going to just model the Exterior, but i might do the interior as well, but i won't be going crazy and modeling the engine, or anything like that.

Anyhow, thanks for the comment user added image

Ive started modeling the car, filling in the blanks of the curves, and roughing out a base mesh. When i get that done i will Probably convert to Sub-Ds and give it a wing just to preview, and i might also try modeling it from scratch in poly's and use bevels to add my edges, instead of creases.

More updates coming soon.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 4 05-12-2007 , 01:38 AM
UPDATE:

I've pretty much completed the Base mesh now, using the curves as Refs.

NOTE: This is my first time using the Nurbs Curve method, and must admit i really like it.

Later i will be converting to Sub-D's to give it a test run, and to see if the Base mesh is adequate enough to continue.

Screenies:

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

C&C always welcome user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 05-12-2007 at 01:49 AM.
# 5 05-12-2007 , 02:04 AM
looking good. I should really check that site out for blues. I generally model my own concepts and i just finished one yesterday and i think ill actually model a real car. The 09 camaro was on my list and i couldnt find the blues anywhere.

Ive never nurb modeled a car so i cant tell you too much but the overall design looks good for this stage.

Ive gotten my best results from modeling in poly and switching to subd to see how it looks and then going back to poly.

I think i might start a wip of the 09 camaro now. So if you need any help i should have some experience modeling the car.

# 6 05-12-2007 , 02:54 AM
Ha, me too.

This is probably my 3rd Car (and hopefully i will complete this one) but before this car i was modeling Concept cars, of my own design. Mostly Old cars, that i could picture myself driving back then.

So, you probably have more experience than me, so having you model this car at the same time, would probably help out.

So far Ive used the method you described, using Sub-Ds to preview the Poly mesh, but now with Maya 2008 we have the smooth Mesh preview.

Anyhow, if you can't find the blueprints just say so, and I'll post them here.

More updates tomorrow.

Mayaniac user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 7 05-12-2007 , 08:05 PM

# 8 05-12-2007 , 08:26 PM

I found the blues.

I just uploaded my Concept car i just finished if you would like to take a look.

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...831#post254831

I think ill start the camaro tonight. Im not sure if ill do an interior as ive never done one.

Good to hear it! I look forward to seeing it user added image

No updates i'm afraid user added image WAAAAAY to busy. Will Post something tonight, or tommorow morning.

I don't really have the time to get into modeling the Camero, to much but, i made a promise to myself to atleast, open and do something creative in Maya everyday.

So i'll probably open an old Scene and play with that. If i open up the Camaro i will get so deep into it. I wont be able to get myself off until 3:30 AM or something like that :zzz:

Takecare all user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 9 10-12-2007 , 01:48 PM
come on man. waiting for some updates. I finally got around to starting mine was wondering how it compared to yoursuser added image

# 10 10-12-2007 , 04:46 PM
Sorry man!! I've been Really busy user added image :zzz:

But i did manage to get some work done today, not very much, and hardly worth posting! Plus I'm stuck trying to Figure out how to put the Hole for the flood lights in the front bumper, whilst maintaining a perfect circle, and at the same time have a crease running through it user added image

I think i may need to smooth my mesh and add the bevel after, that way i would have the Perfectly round circle, and have the crease running through it.

Though I'm sure you'll catch up to me fast, and figure it out first, as you do have allot more experience at this than me user added image

So thanks for the interest in my thread, and i look forward to seeing yours.

I should have an update by tomorrow.... i promise user added image

Happy modeling user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 11-12-2007 at 09:37 AM.
# 11 11-12-2007 , 05:06 AM
Very nice... where are you now?

Chris Howell
Respower, a Self-Service Render Farm
# 12 11-12-2007 , 09:35 AM
Thanks for the Comments Guy's!!!

UPDATE:

I've mostly done work on the front end. The front Bumper and all it's components are near completion, and are in all poly's. The rest of the Car is in Sub-Ds at the Moment, awaiting conversion. So there no where near finished.

I know that the Fog light Holes are missing, in the front Bumper. There going to be inserted at a later point in time, as to avoid, compromising my creases.

The head lights, have been modeled (in near full) though I'm still deciding weather to model the full Light interior, or to cheat, and use a flat plane, and texturing it. I will make this decision when it come to the Rendering part of the project. I will see which one gives me the best results, and go with that!

Anyway, enough ranting.... heres some Pics:

user added image

user added image

user added image

Well, I know it looks like your looking at the same picture each time, but like I said all the main progress has taken place on the front end. The back has been converted to Sub-Ds, and creased but there hardly worth showing!

C&C always welcome user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 13-12-2007 at 02:48 AM.
# 13 12-12-2007 , 11:43 PM
Subscriber
Wow nice!

# 14 13-12-2007 , 02:36 AM

Originally posted by marlonjohn
Wow nice!

Thanks!

Well, heres a bit of an UPDATE for those of you that are interested.

This forum is behind on the UPDATES, not that it's makes a difference.

Anyway, I've pretty much spent most my time cleaning up my mesh, and finalizing the front bumper, and the hood. Plus i rebuilt the lights from the Inside out. The front Fenders in the later pics are near completion. All i have left to do on the body is... well the rest of the body user added image

I've been busy today, so I've not got any work done on it, but hopefully l might get some time later.

Anyway PICs:

Front shot, before Fenders and lights were completed. (all objects shaded red, are in Sub-Ds)

user added image

The LIGHT. I rebuilt the lights to better match the real deal:

user added image

user added image

BODY, with the front Fenders near completion, also some minor adjustments to the front bumper.

user added image

user added image

So, I've pretty much spent most my time cleaning up the mesh, and making sure things line up, as well Building and converting other Body Parts.

Like i said I've been busy today, so you can expect an update, some time this weekend.

C&C welcome!!! user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 13-12-2007 at 02:38 AM.
# 15 13-12-2007 , 03:12 AM
looking real good.

I tend to model each section of the car then go back and do things such as windows, lights and wheels after but thats only my method.

Yeah the crease going through the fog light hole was tough but thankfully i spent about a day or 2 carefully planning out the mesh for the front end. I still need to add the headlights/foglights and grill but for this section its done untill i add that in last.

The creases running along the door/side skirt were hell for me. Actually the whole door in general was very difficult and took me almost twice the time i planned to take on it. but it came out well. and so did the door handle.

I cant wait to see how you go about the Door/sideskirt/rear 1/4 panel section as im sure that will give me some problems.

Doesnt the roof/spoiler/trunk and rims look like they are going to be fun!