Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-04-2016 , 07:03 PM

Animating an object through multiple extrusions

Hi and thanks for looking,

I want to model a letter 'B' for a logo project that I'm working on but am not sure if my approach is the right way to go, so to speak...

I would like the letter 'B' to start with a cube, and then animate as follows (so that it looks as if it was growing):

1) Extrude the top face up with 4 divisions... [ . -> l ] (and get a tall cube with five face rings)
2) Then extrude side faces 1, 3, and 5 to the side... [l -> E]
3) Divide the face of the middle side extrusion
4) Make two bridges to connect side extrusions 1 and 5 to the split face (made in step 3). [E -> B]

Is this possible? I have found it awfully tricky; e.g. once I do step 2, the side extrusions show up as soon as the cube animates up in step 1...

Is there a way to do this?
What is a common approach to growing things for expanding geometry?
How would you approach growing a letter 'B'

Thank you for any help, Tim