Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 05-02-2006 , 04:54 PM
Subscriber

HDRI map? help!

i created a screwdriver and i want it to look like the one in this link --> https://micah.noobgrinder.com/screwdrivertut/
it says something about HDRI map im lost i dont know what to do. i tried to attach the file but its too big if anyone wants to see where i am up 2 just reply and i will email it to you. thanks

# 2 05-02-2006 , 05:06 PM
Yeah, an HDRI is an image that is used to mimic environment lighting.

HDR images are stored as .hdr

Search on google.com for free hdri download

Once you have your .hdr image, go into render globals - mental ray - image based lighting and upload the .hdr image.

Then go to render globals- common - (at the bottom) use default lightin off.

Don't directly use an HDR probe as an image, it will make a gap. An hdr probe is a mirrored ball, taken images of with diferent exposure images and assembled into a single .hdr image. Since it is a ball, it will leave gaps.

To edit hdr probesso you can have a nice, 360 degree laid out image, do a google search for hdr shop.

Download hdr shop, and open yor hdr probe in it.

Then go into views (i think) and panorama- panoramic transformations-

Change it from mirrored ball on the right to latitude/longtitude and transform it. Then save it as a .hdr. Now you can apply that as an Image Based Lighting image, like described above.

But to use this, you have to have Final Gather turned on.

Cya later,
Matt user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 3 06-02-2006 , 04:40 PM
Subscriber
i donr this tut but wen i changes the image from ball to lat/long it made no diff to final render

not sure y ne 1 know?

the link for probes is here

ps u can see my renders on my site as mine came out a bit blotchy

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 4 06-02-2006 , 09:45 PM
It should not make much of a difference rendering, but there will be a small gap in the hdr image, and this will show up on superreflective objects, like chrome.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 5 07-02-2006 , 02:40 AM
Subscriber
how did u make yours look like the one on the tutorial? i dont know how to make the screwdriver look realistic. how do u get the yellow and color on the handle and the clear on the screwdriver ?

# 6 07-02-2006 , 06:15 PM
Subscriber
hey man figured it out
link to ur shot here for ur render
link for mine render of ur scene my render of it
firstly u were upside down - (look at the x y z arrows bottom left of screen y should point up ward so move the plane to other side of screwdriver and spin the camera the right way up - this meant the light from the image was going on the other side of the plane not lighting up the scene properly
second u had applied the material wrongly so that they were lamberts - to fix push F5 and select the handle go lighting/shading -assign new material and chose dielectric the attribute editor on the right should open if not do crtl+a and click tab called 'dielectric_material1' and click the colour box next to 'col' the colour box opens and chose a colour.
thats the handle
now select the shaft(shiney bit) lighting/shading -assign new material and chose dgs
this should be fine as it is but u can tweak it as it was a bit bleached out in my quick render
u should notice that these are green in the viewports which means that the mental ray node has been applied
now render

hope this helps

Last edited by pbman; 07-02-2006 at 06:37 PM.
# 7 08-02-2006 , 02:25 AM
Subscriber
thanks its cool

# 8 08-02-2006 , 04:00 AM
Subscriber
it didnt come out right the whole screwdriver shows but the color on the handle in most parts looks the color of the plane

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 08-02-2006 , 01:41 PM
Subscriber
whats up with the last pic it looks like its been photoshop with pastels or somethinm mayb just me though
reme the handle uses dielectric which means that it reflects light both on the surface and at fifferent depths of the matherial - meaining u will b able to see a bit of the plane

# 10 09-02-2006 , 01:12 AM
Subscriber
oh ok. i saved it as a gif and it came out this way it doesnt look this way on maya