Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 28-03-2006 , 09:44 PM
Subscriber

My latest animation, still learning

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I last posted some animation. Here is my latest, a sack running scared from a super detailed high resolution spider :-p . Let me know what you think, I'm trying to learn everything I can about character animation so all constructive criticism is welcome!

Here's the animation in Windows Media format:
https://simontaylorfilms.com/mayaventure/scaredysack.wmv

And this is quicktime 7 format:
https://simontaylorfilms.com/mayaventure/scaredysack.mov

All the best

Simon

P.S.

I didn't make the sack model. It's from the Exploring 3D Animation with Maya 6 book, at the moment I'm trying to just concentrate on animation, then i'll move onto modelling.

Last edited by sjtaylor84; 29-03-2006 at 03:40 PM.
# 2 28-03-2006 , 11:19 PM
Subscriber
nicely animated, but I think the running in the air bit isn't quite right. I think the character would have to fall down while running in the air. Yours stays still on one spot and than it falls too quick. I hope you know what I mean describing moving image will always be a bit awkward.
Also when he turns around something wiered happens to his "underbelly" for one or two frames it seems like it collapses or folds to much I can't make it out but it seems like he lifts one of his legs too high.
I like the walk at the beginning, It has some nice personality. The jumping back and "shivering" in the air looks very good to me.
I'd like to see a bit more of him running at the end.

good stuffuser added image

# 3 29-03-2006 , 09:56 PM
It looks like you need to work on your timing a little bit. I think always doing ease ins and ease outs really help in your graph editor.

Play around with the graph editor a bit to get a more smooth realistic animation.

# 4 11-04-2006 , 05:24 AM
the sack looks like its going to fall backwards. the walk needs to be more upright. and if i can get into a little story, maybe the sack should creep up on the creature. that way the surprise might be a little bit more convincing. or having the creature do something more to startle the sack. adding some weight or bounce to the walk and run will help out. just a few thoughts....

# 5 14-04-2006 , 05:32 PM
Subscriber
its pretty good but the one thing that i noticed is the spiders eye goes into his leg.

Do what you like, like what you do.
# 6 14-04-2006 , 09:22 PM
cool, but the sack stays in the air a bit too much

Live the life you love, love the life you live