Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-02-2008 , 02:00 PM

Flash into Maya?

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question. I've modelled a TV in Maya and I want to add 2D animation to the screen that I've done in Flash. It's easy to add a single image but how would I play the animation on the screen of the TV? Do I need to export the video from flash as separate images for each frame and then import them into Maya? I want to incorporate it into existing animation which is running at 24fps so to be realistic, I need the tv image to run independently to the rest of the animation in the scene. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot user added image

# 2 07-02-2008 , 02:20 PM
Senior Software Developer
From wot your saying you want to composite the image from Maya with the animation in Flash. Due to the exported animation being SWF based you are slightly restricted in your application choices.

Here are a few options:

Composite in After Effects, would need to be CS3 to work with Flash.
Save the Maya Image and use it directly in the Flash animation and export your swf out again, but you want it independant...
Try a composite in Photoshop CS3 also as it supports swf as far as I can remember, but this needs to be the extended version...

I would do a google search for free compositing tutorials and applications. There is one Mike McK recommended and it is good, but I do not know if it supports SWF Files. I think it was called VideoMACH.

Good Luck.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 07-02-2008 , 03:55 PM
Thanks for that. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. The added complication is that in my scene, the TV is actually moving. I agree that compositing in After Effects or Premiere Pro seems the simpler option. ie export each scene from Maya as images (because I'm rendering with mental ray), import that into Premiere Pro CS3 to create an AVI file. Output the flash as an AVI file. Import the Maya AVI scene and the Flash AVI into Premiere and composite there. It's a while since I've used it but I remember being able to resize the video (like a picture in picture) and then match the motion to the 2nd layer. If that makes sense? Am I on the right lines here? Is After Effects CS3 any easier that Premiere Pro CS3 for compositing?

Thanks again user added image

# 4 07-02-2008 , 04:03 PM
Senior Software Developer
Premier Pro is a Video Editing package and therefore doesnt actually provide any compositing tools or facilities. After Effects on the other hand is ideal for this, especially since both animations are moving. So going forward i would:

Export your images from Maya and then import these into AE, once thats done export your Flash Animation as a swf or flv file and then import that into your composite. Remember that your flash animation must contain alpha information otherwise it wont composite correctly.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 07-02-2008 , 05:32 PM
Thanks. Premiere Pro CS3 provides a number of keying effects for chroma, blue screen compositing etc. I guess I'm just more familiar with it than AE. I'll have a play with AE as I'm not too familiar with it but if I find AE a steep learning curve in the short time I have, I'm sure I can do it with Premiere. Yes you are right I need to remember to output with an alpha channel from flash, all I am interested in is the foreground info to composite on the screen of the TV. I certainly could do with learning AE though when I get time.

Thanks for your help
Mike

Attached Thumbnails