Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 15-03-2008 , 06:39 AM

best image quality render settings

Hello. I am using Maya 8.5 on a Precision 690, plenty of RAM, OS" Windows XP Pro.

I am interested in learning what settings should I use in the render settings box to get the highest quality image to output as an image in to photoshop.

Looking for highest resolution, cleanest lines, color, etc.
Any sugestions?

Currently I am rendering using Maya Software, "Quality" setting is "production Quality", "Edge Anti-Alias" is set to "highest quality".

What else should I be looking at when modifying for highest quality image?

Tristan

# 2 15-03-2008 , 09:08 AM
Subscriber
There are many settings that will work for different projects. When you get into more advanced rendering you will have to tweak the settings that were by default turned on when you set it to production and anti-aliasing to maximum. However in software render and in general render settings you can change things including the resolution, and not just dimension, but anywhere from 72dpi -1600 dpi or however high you really think you need to go.
Also image formats, your .png .tga .tif, among other varieties are things you can choose from.

In maya software you can adjust raytracing - advanced shadows - to get them crisper, to blend in more.
Motion blur, if you have moving parts you can use a built in motion blur.

Mostly in maya software are the presets and a bunch of values that you can tweak to suit. The more advanced you get in your creations, the more you'll need to learn the render settings, and even the different renderers for maximum quality.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 3 15-03-2008 , 08:44 PM
Hi Alexander, and thanks again. I had already started to play with pixel aspect ratio and file types, but it didn't seem to have any effect. I was wondering if there were specific setting configurations someone could recommend trying, but I guess I'll have to play some more on my own.

Thanks. T

# 4 16-03-2008 , 01:09 AM
imo i really wouldn't recommend playing with pixel aspect ratio...

pretty much all of the file formats that you can render out to will give you a similar looking render (except jpeg, maya doesn't compress to jpeg well so it looks kinda shabby). people use different output formats depending on what the render is going to be used for and what program they're bringing it into.

as for the 'perfect' (meaning highest output quality) render, putting your settings on 'production quality' is pretty much all you need to do, unless you've got something complex going on in your render. you can switch on raytracing and it'll give you sharper shadows and reflections, but that takes some planning.

a lot of people turn to mental ray immediately for rendering because you don't need to know as much or spend as much time tweaking to get a decent render.

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 16-03-2008 , 01:57 AM
thanks a lot. very helpful.

T