Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 16-01-2009 , 05:30 AM

ZOMG a book for thee!

May be a noobish question, but I'm wondering if anyone has gone through slash reviewed any of the Maya books out there...? I just got Maya 2009 and I ain't gonna lie -

I'm a book person.

I'm heading to college for media design (maya included) soonish here, and because I'm a nerd like that I'd like a heads up in wtf (!) I'm doing.

Video tutorials are great, but more of a compliment then a sturdy foundation for learning. I just need something that will take me through the basics so when I come out of it I'll be able to slap together a model and understand what all the jibberish means.

Cash ain't the problem, I just don't want to invest in something that I'm going to regret.

Thanks for any feed back in advance :bow:

<--tEh-->
# 2 16-01-2009 , 05:41 AM

Yes I am replying to my own post

Just something to add, I'm looking at the 3D Buzz products at the moment, and any feedback on that as well would be neat-o.

user added image

<--tEh-->
# 3 16-01-2009 , 09:00 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I dont think you can go wrong with books at all. the learning Maya fundamentals book will give a basic grounding of the software which is really all you need to understand how to start and where to look. After that its up to you.

3d Buzz do have a wide range of tutes and from what i understand are pretty good.

However this year sees a big over haul for SimplyMaya as we are currently in the process of revamping the training, and one of the modules will include the fundamentals for new people like yourself on where to start or how to achieve certain things. Its all in the works at the moment along with lots of other great things, all I can say is read the books and look around the web for now.

hang in there though we are working very hard to sort stuff out.

Jay

# 4 16-01-2009 , 07:06 PM
Wooooo!

I wait in aniticipation.

:attn:

<--tEh-->
# 5 19-01-2009 , 08:32 PM
hey I'm applying for school this fall too! I was reading your post cause I'm in the same idea state you are user added image you in Montreal too? I was gonna apply to either Humber or the Ubisoft Campus. What about you?