Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-02-2003 , 12:01 AM

Ultra Newbie question

Was watching the Free Tutorials and decided to follow allong, only problem is that in the viedo the interface shows File, Create, Modify, Edit Polygons, Polygons, Edit Curves, Edit Nurbs, and so on. Whereas mine has the default settings I suppose; Particles, Fields, Soft/Rigid, Effects. How do I add these for quick usage? Using Maya Unlimited 4.0.
Thanks

-adrian

# 2 10-02-2003 , 01:15 AM
Subscriber
If I understand you correctly, you are looking for the dropdown menu in the upper-left hand corner. That switches you between the different infaces.

# 3 10-02-2003 , 02:18 AM
also, im pretty sure that the hotkey to choose different menues is left mouse click and H ... then just chose modelling (if thats what you need to do)

user added image

# 4 10-02-2003 , 02:31 AM
You can also use F2-F5 on your keyboard to switch menu sets.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 11-02-2003 , 11:53 PM
One more thing. Say that I am in the Persp view and I want to see the other side of an object how do I do that?

# 6 12-02-2003 , 12:05 AM
tap the spacebar user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 7 12-02-2003 , 12:38 AM
No not that. I mean like...rotating I guess. How do I rotate while in a view?

AND if I right click and hold I get these options; Edge, Face, UV etc.
But sometimes in the tuts i see a box that says AIW and to the left it says Recent Commands and to the right it says Hotbox Controls. Above that it says View, Shading, Lighting, Show, Panels. Below it says Animate, Deform, Skeleton, Skin, Constrain, Character. I've seen this in the Free Tut Skeletons Part 1 @ 0:01:10 mark. How do I bring that up?

# 8 12-02-2003 , 12:54 AM
OK......
Rotate: Alt+RMB (EDIT: you can only rotate persp view)
Pan: MMB
Zoom: Alt+RMB+MMB (Alt+RMB also works but only in 4.5)

About the options.....
Right click a object with the mouse to get Edge, Face...etc

Hold down the spacebar to get the hotbox. The hotbox contains menu's File, Edit...etc. You can also add the Modelling, Animation, Rendering & Dynamics set menus.

Anything else...user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

Last edited by doodle; 12-02-2003 at 01:02 AM.
# 9 12-02-2003 , 01:08 AM
Thanks a lot z1. Was holding down the spacebar for awhile and nothing happened. So then I right clicked and saw Hotbox, right clicked that and now what i wanted pops up when i hold the spacebar. Thanks! Just learned of the F1 Help from a past thread.

-adrian