Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 05-12-2003 , 10:42 AM

Polygon modelling

Why do most of the commercial or really good models look different from mine. Each polygon looks like triangles and mine don't, why is this?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 05-12-2003 , 07:10 PM
You can triangulate your meshes under Polygons > Triangulate.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 05-12-2003 , 07:37 PM
Subscriber
danny it looks like he already did a Triangulate on it. I think he is asking how to get it, or why get it in to Quads.

Useing triangels only is a good way for modeling for games. Using 4 sided or more. Polys is normaly how the higher poly count art models are made as its eazyer to look at them and understand how there put together. (least to me) also the deformations with skinning and other things are more predictable with 4 sided ones.

You can go in and just delit the one cross edge if you want to on this model. Or when you are makeing a new model use 4 sides alot. there isn't anything that keeps you to 3 sides with the polys.

Need more info just let us know.

# 4 02-01-2004 , 09:28 PM
wow...
i didnt really quite get what you guys are saying, (still a very noob) can you maybe point to a reference or docs where you know about that stuff?
all i'm doing right now really is just modelling from tutorials without knowing about quads or triangles etc what you guys are talking right now...

sorry for being off-topic if ever i am
Darth

Ipso Facto Meenie Moe... MAGICO!!!
# 5 03-01-2004 , 02:44 AM
Subscriber
ok well first lets make sure were all understanding each other. The screen shot you have there is yours ? its all triangles. So I'm assuming your question is why do you end up with all triangles but a lot of others models you see are all quad. 4 sides. right ?

I find my self wandering how you ended up with all tryangles and you trying not to. All the primitives, (basic starting shapes) that maya crat are made with quad faces. Did you tryangulate ?

# 6 03-01-2004 , 02:54 AM
Subscriber
Pony, if you read what he said in the original post you'll notice that the pic is NOT his and it's Commecial work

"Why do most of the commercial or really good models look different from mine. Each polygon looks like triangles and mine don't, why is this?"

so Danny did answer correct

-Emo

# 7 03-01-2004 , 03:07 AM
Subscriber
That would explain it yeah. in that case danny's answer would be the one.

# 8 03-01-2004 , 06:43 AM
Subscriber
Spekkio! I LOVE your avatar!!!! Dark Serge from Chrono Cross!! omg! That is my favorite game of all time. Seriously, I have played through it so many times, I've lost count.

a-hem... ok, you all get get back on subject if you want now. lol

# 9 03-01-2004 , 09:47 AM
OT: LOL. Thanks!

Ipso Facto Meenie Moe... MAGICO!!!
# 10 13-01-2004 , 02:46 AM
Subscriber
My understanding is that the tesselation method isn't a big deal unless you're doing something that would lock you into one or the other, such as games. I think that was Pony's point...?