Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 08-02-2004 , 02:46 AM

IK handle control, the root?

Hi,

I've had maya for about a year now and I can not figure out how to control the root joint.

I can make and control the IK handles of the hands and feets, but not the root. The root will not even move, without moving the whole character. All I can do is move the upper and lower body.

So how do I creat a handle for the root or hip area? I know this much it has to be done in the hypergraph.

I hope you guys know what I'm talking aboutuser added image

Any help will be very appreciate!

# 2 08-02-2004 , 02:56 AM
You don't need an IK handle at the root. Just create a control object (nurbs circle, locator, whatever) and parent the root joint to that controller. Also, make sure the Sticky attribute is turned on for all of the IK handles. Maya 5 has this disabled by default.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 08-02-2004 , 02:56 AM
The Maya Mountain
The purpose of the root IS to move the whole character. Make sure your IK handles are set to "sticky" if in Maya 5.

# 4 08-02-2004 , 02:57 AM
The Maya Mountain
# 5 08-02-2004 , 03:00 AM
LOL

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 6 08-02-2004 , 03:02 AM
Subscriber
normally root joint is just the root joint, it's purpose is to seclect skeleton hierarchy ... (when i rig)
i usually place a join right above the root joing in order to create spline handle ik to control upper body to the joint between shoulders.
but the root (when i rig) all the weight is set to 0) and i usually put the selection handle behind or in front so i can just select entire skeleton.
and to mproperly deform the hips, u have to add 1 or 2 hip joints on each side. .
hope this helped
user added image

# 7 08-02-2004 , 07:02 AM
Hey, Thank you guys so much!

It was "sticky" that was not on.

Oh man.... The nightmare is finally over:bgreen:

Now I can do character animation, yahoooo!!!!