Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 12-07-2010 , 10:58 AM
Subscriber

2 monitors for Modelling

Ciao!

I am using a 22" (wide 1080)Benq monitor & win7. What is the best for 2nd monitor ? I was thingking to sell this & buy two 19" but thats only good for modelling & sometimes I watch movies too... so i ll keep this for 1st. Is it better to have a good 19" than another wide for second?

# 2 12-07-2010 , 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Honestly, I think ditching that for dual 19' monitors would be a downgrade. If you have a dependable 22' with a decent response time and contrast ratio then you're in business. If for whatever reason you're not getting another with the same dimensions (space, money, whatever) then a 19' secondary would do fine.

- Genny
# 3 12-07-2010 , 06:37 PM
EduSciVis-er
I've got a 22" and a 19"... works great for me. I'd love a 24" (for 1080p) and a 19", but I don't see much point in trading up for 2 inches.

# 4 12-07-2010 , 06:40 PM
Subscriber
I was not thinking on two 22" wide cause its pretty wide. its like 1,5 meter or something. i ve to turn around to close a window user added image
I ve one of the cheapest 22" HD monitors but it works well>>
G2220HDA
Would you buy the same one again? Or the same size again?

Originally posted by GecT
Honestly, I think ditching that for dual 19' monitors would be a downgrade. If you have a dependable 22' with a decent response time and contrast ratio then you're in business. If for whatever reason you're not getting another with the same dimensions (space, money, whatever) then a 19' secondary would do fine.

Last edited by Joey81; 12-07-2010 at 06:43 PM.
# 5 12-07-2010 , 07:23 PM
A single 26" is great.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 12-07-2010 , 09:34 PM
Lifetime Member
saves on wearing bi-focals eh gster?

cheers bullet

P,S yes I am in envy gster...a crappy lappy at 17' is all I have

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 12-07-2010 , 11:36 PM
Subscriber
I have two dell monitors, ones a 24 and ones a 22... it's good to see how things look on different monitors, but to compare things side by side it's impossible... if you want to have the same image on both monitors to compare subtle changes in the picture that you've made you'll want two of the same exact monitors. For modeling I only really use one, have the other one open with the web browser or a tutorial, or keep my music over in the other monitor so I don't have to keep minimizing and maximizing.
I always say larger monitors are better for anything with graphics. If I could upgrade I'd get two newer 24" I'd like to get 32" but I'm too close to my monitors and it'd hurt my eyes.

# 8 13-07-2010 , 12:40 AM
Subscriber
i would think you'd want your second monitor to be a duplicate of your first
i have two 22" LG monitors at home but they are different models and they dont display the same..

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 9 13-07-2010 , 01:53 AM
Acid44
What graphics card are you on? If you have Eyefinity or whatever, you could grab another 22 and put in on top of the current one...

like so

user added image

But if you don't wanna pay like 200 bucks for a stand like that you could just wall mount the top one

user added image

# 10 13-07-2010 , 08:57 AM
Subscriber
I ve a Sapphire Radeon HD4890 Vapor-X 1GB PCIe, i dont think it has eyfinity..

Originally posted by acid44
What graphics card are you on? If you have Eyefinity or whatever, you could grab another 22 and put in on top of the current one...

like so

user added image

But if you don't wanna pay like 200 bucks for a stand like that you could just wall mount the top one

user added image

# 11 13-07-2010 , 10:36 AM
Strange how you get used to the screen size very quickly though!

I have a 17" @ 1920 x 1200 (same as the desktop) laptop too and I really like working on it.

I used to like using dual 19"s one for all the refs etc and the other for the scene.

Ac Chirone said, make sure that you get 2 that are the same as its a tad irritating if they are different.

# 12 13-07-2010 , 03:53 PM
EduSciVis-er
I don't really see the need for two of the same, depending on what you use it for. If you are comparing subtle modifications to the same image, sure, but if you're just using the second one for email, tutorials, music, and things like Outliners, Hypergraphs, Attribute Editors (as I do generally), no point.

# 13 13-07-2010 , 04:04 PM
Subscriber
I think 1monitor is only 4 modelling. You can put menus, a render screen, attr editor & some useful stuff to the 2ndary. I hate to use 1monitor for modelling & tutorial. 22wide is just enought for a small video window & maya. New & better videos come out day after day & i still watch it in a widow around 300*300 user added image

Originally posted by stwert
I don't really see the need for two of the same, depending on what you use it for. If you are comparing subtle modifications to the same image, sure, but if you're just using the second one for email, tutorials, music, and things like Outliners, Hypergraphs, Attribute Editors (as I do generally), no point.

Last edited by Joey81; 13-07-2010 at 04:07 PM.
# 14 13-07-2010 , 05:04 PM

Originally posted by stwert

Generally you would want to have 2 the same, if your doing PS work then moving over to Maya on both its easier, the image is going to be the same to evaluate, saves messing.

two the same = better than two different

# 15 13-07-2010 , 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Joey81
I was not thinking on two 22" wide cause its pretty wide. its like 1,5 meter or something. i ve to turn around to close a window user added image
I ve one of the cheapest 22" HD monitors but it works well>>
G2220HDA
Would you buy the same one again? Or the same size again?

Yep I would and I have user added image. Among other things, it's annoying to have one monitor higher than the other because of different stands plus it looks badass but that's just me.

- Genny