Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 05-11-2003 , 05:52 AM

Toyota Supra

Hey everyone, this is my first actual model that i'm trying on my own with no tutorials, its a Toyota Supra I realize it still needs alot of work, any crits before i work on to the rest of the car would be great..

Also, i stupidly put chrome shaders on it not knowing what i was doing and it looks REALLY bad.. how do i get rid of them so i can just get the normal shader settings back, this looks absolutley horrible

another thing is maya constantly shuts down on me without warning for no reason at all, i'm pretty sure its my computer though.. i'm running a 450 mhz pentium 3

But anyways i really need help deleting those shaders, i just want to get it looking how it did before i got into the lambert shaders menu thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails

AIM: Psuedo Realizm
# 2 05-11-2003 , 10:08 AM
right click the model and click apply existing material and then select lambert 1 (assuming you didnt change lambert 1 (which you should never do any ways as it's te default material for all new objects)

And maya on a 450 is gonna be a little ropey I'm on a 700 and it's sometimes a little iffy but not generally too bad.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 06-11-2003 , 01:07 AM

Thanks so much

i'll try that as soon as i get the chance, i dont think i changed lambert 1, but like i said, i wasnt sure what i was doing.. i'll keep my fingers crossed, but anyways maya always shuts down in the middle of an action so i'm sure its my processor, i have 512 mb's of ram so i dont think that would be it considering its not a big project or anything... thanks again

# 4 06-11-2003 , 01:32 AM

awsome!!

it worked sweet.. here it is, now that you can see it clearly

Attached Thumbnails

# 5 06-11-2003 , 02:56 AM
good start keep adding detail and folowing your blueprints !

relax your mind
# 6 09-11-2003 , 11:38 AM

latest

heres my latest, havent really been workin on it all that much.. i just need to be more dedicated i guess... anyways i work more on the front and back end

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 14-11-2003 , 02:04 AM
Whats with the phunky dots all over? Are you running at 256 colors over there? user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 8 16-01-2004 , 11:57 PM

Long awaited update

alright, its been a while since i worked on maya, but now that i'm back into it, i started getting back to work on the supra heres an update, i didnt bother to render becuase there isnt to render anyways, so i just took a screenshot.....

Attached Thumbnails

# 9 17-01-2004 , 10:15 AM
it looks very nice in my opinion. Great start. I would start to flow out the sides more so they arent so flat.

Is that one side panel like 50 vertex poly?

# 10 17-01-2004 , 10:23 PM

thanks for the crits

yeah its pretty much 50 vertex polies, i didnt alot of edge deleting to it would be easier to work with, i'm still learning so was that the wrong thing to do?... and also i really want to give depth to the side panel (door) but i dont know how to go about doing it, i tried to exrude the whole face but it didnt look right, anyother ideas on how to do this?

# 11 17-01-2004 , 10:37 PM
Subscriber
The car looks nice. If you check out this thread you will see why you will have problems with non-quad sided polys. I would split the side up some in the general panels and door, trying to get enough vertices to begin defining shape. And remember begin with as few as possible and add more only when you need them, and keep it mainly quad. Good luck.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.