Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 27-10-2004 , 11:09 AM
Subscriber

Marble effect

Hiya.. I'm working on a project where I use a home-made shader on a creature to make it look a bit burnt but still alive (basically the creature's screwed). I use a Marble for the Color and another Marble effect as Bump Map, and it looks great when I render it. (hang on, here's the problem): When I render the animation the creature is part of however, the "veins" in the marble shift around as the creature moves, making the creature look like it's got lightning or something under it's skin.. it looks stupid! So, anyone know how to make the veins sort of "stay in place" ??

any help greatly appreciated...

cheers,

MixX

# 2 27-10-2004 , 10:03 PM
Yeah, the marble is a 3D texture so your character is in a sense moving "through it".

I'm sure there are many techniques ti fix this, but here's one.

1) Place your model in such a way that the texture renders the way you want it to.

2) Select your model, and under the Rendering menu set, run Texturing>Create Texture Reference Object

Now you should notice in the Outliner that you have 2 models. One will have a "_reference" extension. Esentially what is happening is that the reference object is being textured by your shader, and is transfering it's UVs over to the other model. Now, even when you move your model, it will always look back at the reference object to get it's texture info.

I hope this makes sense. Test it out on a sphere in an empty scene and it should become clear what this tool does.

Good luck.
-dann

# 3 28-10-2004 , 07:06 AM
Subscriber
it worked! thank you very much! ..saved me a lot of grief there.

# 4 02-11-2004 , 12:59 AM
you're welcome