Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 12-11-2005 , 07:01 AM

spotty surface

I am getting flickering black spots all over my surface. It looks fine until I start bending a joint. It's like the normals go haywire or something.

Attached Images
# 2 12-11-2005 , 07:01 PM
This is usually just a Graphic Card issue, what kind are you using?

# 3 12-11-2005 , 07:47 PM
...ATI- Radeon X800 XT.

...also, I averaged my normals to remove a seam(back and palm of hand). But this locks the normals, causing frozen shadows. If I unlock the normals, shadows are good but the seam is back. Not sure how to get around this.

# 4 13-11-2005 , 02:50 PM
Ya, Maya tends to not like Raedon cards, or ATI cards for that matter. I am running on an ATI exstacy card and I have problems like that and also my Maya tends to cause my computer to need to make a VPU recover... every so often.
Anyway, to fix this just make sure that in the seam, all of the vertices that need to be merged get merged, and also select the entire hand model and use the soften/harden normals and set it to 180(all soft).

Cheers, user added image
,Matt user added image

# 5 14-11-2005 , 08:27 AM
This also can be a Resolution problem.

Maybe your model is too small,
maybe the joint options are not accurate...

Can't tell you by this screenshot.

But i offer: Save the faulty part to a new file and send it to me by E-Mail <baltzer@idevel.de> (max. 5MB) and i tell you how it looks on a NVidia Card (GForce 6600 GT).